Rothesay inner harbour berths

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Rothesay inner harbour berths

Postby MrMcP » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Is there a time I would need to be there by before the bridge closes, or is it left open into the evening? Thinking of escaping with my young boys either after work Friday, or later on Saturday, but not visited before.

Any help appreciated - and if anyone is likely to be there and wouldn't mind catching a line, that would be useful too...those kids aren't quite up to leaping ashore just yet.... :D

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Re: Rothesay inner harbour berths

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Not sure about times but the bridge is controlled by Rothesay Harbour Master and not Bute Berthing Comp so it will be operated at least as long as the ferries are running. I think it may be left up after that. Last time I arrived on a Friday night at about 103.0pm and the bridge was up.
BBC may be able to advise you
http://www.buteberthing.com/index.htm

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:42 am

The bridge is operated by the Harbour master and is normally opened on request via channel 16 then moving to working channel normally 12. The bridge is only opened when there is no ferry at the pier or due at pier. Depending on which officer is on duty will depend how quickly they will open bridge for you. The bridge is left open overnight.

There are also traffic lights controling access to outer harbour (not for bridge) when ferry movements are taking place. The ferry puts about 12 knots of wash across entrance.

Before making to leave the inner harbour it is as well to ensure that there is no ferry on pier or about to arrive as many people untie boat and then have to hold off waiting on ferry leaving.

The inner harbour is quite tight but not subject to ferry wash or very adverse winds, so lesson is to reduce speed when manouvering and dont have anyone jumping to pontoons.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Another point or two: The Bute Berthing company are on VHF37 and manage the berths, which are quite short.The entrance is quite tight under the lifting bridge and the longest berths (apart from the border walks) are the first ones you meet. The back ones are only 2M long.
The harbourmaster is the bridge man, he is on 16/12 as mentioned above, but he cannot respond to VHF when he is handling ferry traffic,(out of the office) so wait until it's gone before calling. Price includes electricity.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 pm

When did Dave and Carlo get VHF??? The back, inner berths are 5 or 6 mtrs long.

It can be fun calling up the harbourmaster as have now heard a few times when replying to a vessel calling on ch 16 to go to ch 12. The vessel waits and then calls on ch 12 but nothing heard. The vessel then goes back to ch 16 and calls HM again stating nothing heard on ch 12. The HM replied yes that is because ch 12 does not work on my radio. DAHHHHHHHH

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:36 am

But does channel 08 or 77 work? Or are they only ship to ship and this is ship to shore? Being totally off the wall here, could our Davie use another chanel that he can get? Or he could use my Moby philosophy and switch off the VHF altogether.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Bob you are way off the wall! Who was talking about ch 08 & 77. It is ch 12 the pier harbour master asks you to go to. Then when you cannot hear him and go back and call again on ch 16 tells you "oh my (the HM's) ch 12 does not work so that is why you did not hear him".

Dave who always wanted to work for the BBC and now is working for the BBC although he has not taken the elocution lessons has no control over the bridge only the berthing.

BBC (Bute Berthing Company) now do have 2 new working handheld VHFs and listen when it is switched on to M1 which I think is ch 37 but Dave and Carlo have nothing to do with the bridge. Most folk phone them on 07799724225. With the new berths in the inner harbour there generally not a problem getting a berth now.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:34 am

aquaplane wrote:But does channel 08 or 77 work? Or are they only ship to ship and this is ship to shore? Being totally off the wall here, could our Davie use another chanel that he can get? Or he could use my Moby philosophy and switch off the VHF altogether.

8 and 77 together with 6 and 72 are designated as inter ship channels. 12 is designated for Port operations and is therefor used by HM's or port controllers.

I am personally appalled at the constant miss use of VHF channels witnessed in these waters. :evil:
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 am

I see some basic use of VHF questions coming up SSOL :)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Chan 12 worked perfectly well last week.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:42 am

Falkirkdan wrote:I see some basic use of VHF questions coming up SSOL :)

Ask away dear boy!
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Return to “Basically Boaty”