Scottish West Coast Moorings

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Scottish West Coast Moorings

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Lots of updates added recently.

Remember, if you have been cruising the West Coast this year we need your input to keep this comprehensive source of information up to date.

Scottish West Coast Moorings Guide
- Nick 8)

JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Re: Scottish West Coast Moorings

Postby JohnBuch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Nick, just back from Ullapool and the visitors moorings are now in place. Harbour still a bit iffy about yachts coming alongside. I radioed in to ask if I could come alongside to drop of a crew member who needed too catch a bus - got the reply "erm (long pause)... I suppose so". I didn't stay on the new moorings so don't have many details - are blue and seem quite far out (not in the hippy sense).

Cheers,

John
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks for that John.

Here's what it says on http://www.ullapool.com:
Ullapool Harbour has recently provided 8 trot moorings for use by boats visiting Ullapool. There are 8 trots at £12 per night payable to the Harbour Assistants anytime day or night. To get in touch the boats should either use the VHF channel 14 or 16 or telephone 01854 612091 (24hrs). If the outer steps are clear, yachts can come alongside for water and stores etc. If visitors wish to come to the pier they should use the same contact arrangements.

I have added this info.

I have to say I am very encouraged by the support the moorings page has received - I think it is proving very useful and more than justifies the effort in maintaining it. The guy who runs/ran Sail Scotland - a pointless organisation IMO - tried to talk me out of it when I first started in 2001, saying it would never be up to date and I would be sued by people who had lost their boats etc. I think we (the Scottish cruising community) have proved him comprehensively wrong.
- Nick 8)

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Nick

Visited Campeltown in July and can advise that the owners (it is a private company) currently do not have any staff on the pontoon, but are requesting that visitors pay via the Tourist Information Office on the pier. They are noticing that visitors are apparently not paying for the facilities. On arrival visitors should pick up a leaflet explaining terms and conditions of use at the small hut on the pontoon.

Charge, payable at the Tourist Information Office is now £13/night.

Regards
Donald

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Thanks Donald,

I've added that info.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:07 am

Nick wrote:I have to say I am very encouraged by the support the moorings page has received - I think it is proving very useful and more than justifies the effort in maintaining it. The guy who runs/ran Sail Scotland - a pointless organisation IMO - tried to talk me out of it when I first started in 2001, saying it would never be up to date and I would be sued by people who had lost their boats etc. I think we (the Scottish cruising community) have proved him comprehensively wrong.

It's also how I found this site, I Googled "Scottish Moorings" and the moorings page came top of the shop. It was very useful for my visits to the Clyde used alongside the CCC guide.

As to the info being up to date, the posts are dated, any older ones I took with a larger pinch of salt than the ones that were a month old, it's only a guide not a chuffing bible.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 am

As to the info being up to date, the posts are dated, any older ones I took with a larger pinch of salt than the ones that were a month old, it's only a guide not a chuffing bible.

Yes - but it stands a far better chance of remaining up to date than printed publications.

Any non-dated entries are likely to be pretty ancient - I think I started dating updates in 2002 - so if anyone has any info on any of the older entries please send me it.

I have a plan this Winter to prettify the whole thing, with separate pages for separate areas and clickable location maps, so the more info we get this season the better.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 am

Nick wrote:.

Yes - but it stands a far better chance of remaining up to date than printed publications.

Any non-dated entries are likely to be pretty ancient - I think I started dating updates in 2002 - so if anyone has any info on any of the older entries please send me it.

I have a plan this Winter to prettify the whole thing, with separate pages for separate areas and clickable location maps, so the more info we get this season the better.

I'm not knocking it, I think it's a really good source of info. It is far more likely to be up to date than a printed source too, I agree. What I particularly like is that it's feedback from folk who have been there and used them that keeps it up to date.

What p1sses me off is folk, especially from pointless organisations, using possible litigation as a reason for not doing stuff.

Actually it's folk using litigation that does my head in, can't folk take responsibility for their own actions/mistakes anymore.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

pzazz
Midshipman
Boat Type: Dufour 44

Postby pzazz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Nick, thanks for maintining this for all our benefit - I have been a user of the information, and hope to contribute to it in future.
Has anyone tried to encourage moorings providers to tag them to show the date of last inspection? The Crown manage to tag buoys, and I imagine its not much bother for North West Marine etc to tag them as they inspect. This might overcome some of the anxiety in picking up what looks to be a tired mooring. Arinagour is a good example, moorings looking well worn and fee collector exceedingly vague....

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Has anyone tried to encourage moorings providers to tag them to show the date of last inspection?

I think this is a great idea. However, I think it would be up to individual moorings providers (often councils) to arrange this with the inspectors - and as it would unboubtedly involve an extra cost for no obvious benefit I can't see a general consensus developing.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Basically Boaty”