Good anchorage on the Clyde?

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Good anchorage on the Clyde?

Postby MrMcP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:56 am

We're heading off from Kip tomorrow for a wee spin round the Clyde, but don't really fancy a day sail. When I checked the log we appear to have done hardly any anchoring this year, so fancy a night on the hook somewhere nice. Any recommendations for a decent place to stop that's not too far a sail? Kids get bored if Dad sets off on a 50-mile jaunt without stopping....

pzazz
Midshipman
Boat Type: Dufour 44

Re: Good anchorage on the Clyde?

Postby pzazz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:20 pm

An Caladh, top of the Kyles .... cant beat it.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Wreck Bay, top of the Kyles too... or Blackfarland Bay on Bute, opposite Tighnabruaich pier.
Donald

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 pm

pzazz wrote:An Caladh, top of the Kyles .... cant beat it.

Thanks for the suggestions - look like we'll be heading for the Kyles then - never been before. One question about An Caladh - we need to pass a place called Buttock Point to get there. Are there any seafaring traditions I should be aware of such as pulling a moonie as I sail past? :D

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:45 pm

If you are worried about Buttock Pt (just don't go too close - there is a rock), you will be really concerned about the Cock of Arran. :shock:

Donald

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Maybe there should be a separate thread for dodgy place names round the west coast? Last time I went round the Mull I glanced at the plotter as we were coming up towards Southend, and there on the wee map was a presumably unfriendly marking called The love child....I mean I know the Mull isn't the nicest place, but still.....! :lol:

Edit: This forum software has inserted a replacement word.... I think you can derive the real name though!

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, we headed through the Kyles and had a peek in An Caladh - pretty busy though (although two boats then left after we had decided to give it a miss) and the winds were still quite strong, so wandered further round and eventually picked up a mooring at Kames for the night. Lovely stop, very sheltered and surprisingly quiet which suited the kids perfectly. Next afternoon we wandered round the corner to Portavadie to try out the (rather splendid) facilities there. Interesting approach to the entrance though, with swell surfing us towards the right hand pillar no matter how hard we tried to stay off.

And in case anyone saw our arrival in Kip yesterday afternoon - yes, I know we made a complete hash of it, but we promise to do better next time..... :oops:

Return to “Basically Boaty”