Time to start this years jobs

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Time to start this years jobs

Postby Daveanmucker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Well the time I have been waiting for since October came round, time to go and check Dark Island out see how she has survived the winter on her own.

Don't know about anyone else but it is always a time when I look forward to but feel a bit apprehensive about what I will find.

Suppose if you live near enough to check your boat out from time to time it won't be a problem, but when you leave her for 4 months it is an anxious trip up to Oban next week hoping all will be well.

Intend to fetch my dodgers and sprayhood back for a bit of repair and cleaning.

Was thinking this year of stripping my Anti fouling right off, anyone any advice? I have had enough jobs in my time that played hell with my chest, fancy getting it done for me, but not sure what is the best process.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Time to start this years jobs

Postby Silkie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm in the same boat (sorry) since I haven't seen Silkie since she was lifted out.

I stripped all her bottom paint off the first winter and IIRC I just used a selection of ordinary scrapers but quite a lot of hard work even with a wee boat. There are some fancy scrapers that people recommend and some electric ones too.

Perhaps an expert will be along in a minute. :)
different colours made of tears

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Daveanmucker wrote:Was thinking this year of stripping my Anti fouling right off

SWMBO and I stripped the antifouling on a Leisure 17 (twin keel - sitting on a trailer) right back to the gelcoat when I repainted the topsides. It was hard work. I tried chemical gel but that only took off some of the thickness, though I believe that it made the remaining thickness very brittle such that it could be chipped off with a 1" wood chisel.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 pm

I had Rosally's bottom stripped ( :shock: ) using a slurry blast. Left a nice "eggshell" finish, ready for fresh primer and anti-foul. A little pricey but it was a quick, efficient way to get rid of many years worth of build up. It will also, hopefully, make future clean up and repainting much simpler.
By the way Silkie, I had a walk around "Silkie" a couple of times on the days I was up doing some work on Rosally during January and she looks happy enough - nothing untoward.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:36 pm

TFT but it's the "known to be currently deteriorating" or "potentially dodgy" bits that only an owner knows about that are of most interest. :)
different colours made of tears

Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:54 am

It's grim up North.

Waiting for the ice to melt, before the hurricane season starts.

Down here on the Welsh riviera, it's baking hot. We've clocked up 250 miles this season and I'm off out for another sail all day in a few minutes. The hawthorns are out, a sure sign of spring, and the muddy brown waters of the Bristol channel will be glinting in the sunlight, except where the rafts of logs, trees and old fridges float, naturally.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 am

I was starting to feel jealous - until you mentioned the Bristol Channel. 8)

Antifouling tomorrow and hopefully in water next week........

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Well, we clocked up nearly 50 miles today, a cracking sail. Force 3/4 Easterly, out and back with the tide, azure blue skies, even if the water is muddy brown.

Yes, the Bristol Channel is hard work, but I'm a beginner, in terms of sailing. I figure if I can sail here, there are a lot of other places that should be a hell of a lot easier. And there are a lot of really nice folk sailing here.

I am jealous of those of you in Scotland, I've always loved the West coast. Maybe one day we'll do a charter up there. I feel St Kilda calling again........

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Bristol Channel, Yesterday:

Return to “Basically Boaty”