Hello

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Hello

Postby Alcyone » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 am

An intro.

I've browsed the forum for a while, but only just joined. I am a member in the ybw forums, with the same name. Myself and my missis have recently bought a Cobra 850 and are in the process of learning to sail. We are based in Bridgend, South Wales with the boat in Cardiff bay.

I note that there is a strong Scottish influence here, which is what interests me. Although new to sailing, we have dived on the West coast for over 20 years, having twice been to St Kilda, many of the other islands, regular visitors to Ullapool and to Oban. In June we chose Dunstaffnage to do our Day skipper course, which we both passed, although the weather was horrid.

We hope, sometime soon, to be experienced enough to cruise the West coast of Scotland, although I think it would be a charter, as bringing the boat up from Cardiff would take a while. We are able to sail at up to 6knots, but that often seems to be in a different direction than the one in which we want to go. :shock:

Anyway, hello for now, I'll drop in and joing the chat from time to time.

Martin, Alcyone.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:11 am

Welcome. Enjoy. and there's nothing wrong with learning to sail on the West coast, lots do it. Don't wait until you know everything - you never will!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:49 am

Absolutely not. Far from it. Compared to the Bristol Channel, where we are at the moment, it has a lot to offer. Nicer tides (by and large), cracking scenery, fantastic anchorages and, with the exception of CalMac, far fewer big boats to chase you!

On our Day skipper course, we sailed in Force 7-9 for much of the week, and still managed it all day every day. That would be hard work down here in Wales.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am

Welcome aboard. Cobra 850 is a fine vessel and you would have no problem getting up to Scotland. Wanting to go back might be another matter.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:04 pm

You wouldent happen to be the couple who pulled out of the day skipper course on the night of the get together at largs marina last september would you? oddly enough they had been to ST Kilda a few times diving too.
Pordon if it wasent you, and welcome to the BM
C_W

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:25 pm

No, that wasn't us. We did our Day skipper course in June this year, went down towards Crinan and then up to Tobermory before coming back to Dunstaffnage. Sorry for the delay in replying, btw, we go away to West Wales diving every weekend.

I went to St Kilda with Bob Jones of Lochaline in the Gaelic rose in 1991, and aboard a boat called the Monaco, which I think was based in Oban, in '93. Stunning place, and amazing diving. Both my missis and myself have spent a lot of time around boats, all over the world, but arenew, and very raw, with regard to sailing.

Smartie
Midshipman
Boat Type: whatever i can borrow

Re: Hello

Postby Smartie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Another newbie hello!
I've been browsing (or lurking... how sinister!) for a while too... must be the week for first posts!
I did my Comp Crew out of Dunstaffnage in June of this year, with my parents (who were Day-Skippering) and my sister (comp crew)... first holiday we've had together without fights in about 15 years!!:)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Hello

Postby aquaplane » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Heyup Smartie, welcome to the forum.

Jump in and enjoy the water.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Smartie
Midshipman
Boat Type: whatever i can borrow