BROADBLUE NIGHTMARE

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
sailorofkinsale
Midshipman

BROADBLUE NIGHTMARE

Postby sailorofkinsale » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:58 am

BROADBLUE NIGHTMARE

September 2007 we decided to buy a catamaran.
We initially chose to buy a Nautitech 44; at the Sept 07 Southampton Boat Show we were persuaded by the then managing director to buy a Broadblue 415. Numerous inducements were made. These included a diesel electric option “at cost’. The boat was due for completion May 08
January08 now3 months later, at the London boat show, this option became more expensive than other boat builders similar options, and so we kept with the standard boat. We ordered different winches including electric genoa winches. Price quoted £4755
April 08, the spec changed without notification; another £5000 was added to the winch price. It was only after several months and threatening legal action the extra £5000 was deleted.
We then became aware of changes to the original spec (which formed part of the contract). These included price hikes, spec additions that had not been requested, or devious changes (hatch covers changed from ALL to 5, leaving out 1 hatch cover)
May 08 (The boat should now have be nearly ready!!) At the initial order we ordered a bimini with sliding hatch. The sliding hatch details were never produced. Now the bimini was constructed, it had 2 hatch cutouts, however BB were only supplying ONE hatch the other was an extra at £935! How do you fill a hatch cutout with a standard hatch when they have made the cut out a non standard size, only suitable for a custom made hatch.
At the initial contract we ordered, as an extra, a ST70 wind instrument, as this instrument is capable of displaying all functions BB chose to delete the standard supplied multidata (depth log trip) which was part of the spec (i.e had been paid for!!)
We ordered a SPX30 Autopilot at an extra cost of nearly £4000, £1000 more than the S2G; as the boat construction progressed we visited the factory where BB had subcontracted the work On the engineers bench was a core pack from a S2G, what’s that I asked “ your autopilotâ€Â
WI

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

BroadBlue invited to reply

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi sailorofkinsale and welcome to the forums.

While I have no objection to people using their first post for a rant against a particular supplier / manufacturer I do like to give the accused the right of reply, so I have informed Broadblue of this post and await their response with interest, as I am sure you do.
- Nick 8)

Broadblue
Midshipman

Postby Broadblue » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Broadblue Catamarans does not feel it is appropriate or professional to discuss any issues that a client may have with us, on a public forum.
Broadblue Catamarans

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Broadblue wrote:Broadblue Catamarans does not feel it is appropriate or professional to discuss any issues that a client may have with us, on a public forum.

I have some respect for that view.

Hopefully both parties will sort this out to their satisfaction.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Sadly, I suspect tha Lawyers may be the only winners in this spat. But I hope not.

Mt Kitty
Midshipman

Broadblue owner

Postby Mt Kitty » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:07 pm

What a scathing report, so much so that I feel compelled to write. Like most situations in life I am sure there are 2 sides to this story. All I can say is that the above is by no means a reflection of my experience buying a Broadblue (385 No: 20). I found the whole team to be helpful and accommodating. We had a couple of small misunderstandings but these were dealt with willingly and professionally on their part and I would hope they say sensibly and honestly on mine. I’m a happy Broadblue bunny!

sailingshouldbefun
Midshipman

I survived buying a new yacht !

Postby sailingshouldbefun » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi,

Thank you for adding your experience on the internet especially since the BB 415 is one of the yachts/cats on our shortlist for choosing from once our current yacht is sold. I would like to add that this article in itself will not deter me from buying one but I am grateful for the “heads-upâ€Â

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:01 am

Was This post or almost identical, not posted a few months on TOP?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Probably

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 am

Was This post or almost identical, not posted a few months on TOP?

It was posted here over two months ago, Eamonn.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:09 am

Makes ma state of pennilessness seem quite gratifying really - the trouble ye get into when ye've a few bob - look at Para fer example....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: I survived buying a new yacht !

Postby DaveS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 pm

sailingshouldbefun wrote:
I am not mentioning any names, the reason is that our yacht is nearly two years old and we are still getting things fixed, once done she will be sold.

So many stories like this. It reinforces my view that, even in a pools winning scenario, I would not want to buy a new boat.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:56 pm

Davey - its good to know that amongst our serried ranks there lives a traditionalist. With all the talk nowadays of lottery winners its grand to hear of devotee of Vernons and Littlewoods.
That said - a pools win wid only buy a decent dinghy at the price of them today - d'ye think its time tae join me in the queue of prospective lottery winners?
Only a matter of time...
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:11 pm

If I wiz you Claysie me auld freen', ah wid be investin in a puckle o' thon preimum bond thingies.

Ah bocht masel a hunner poun' o' them a while back, an' ah hiv hud twa wins already. First een wiz £50, an' the second een wiz £100. Nae only 'at, ah kin get ma hunner poun' back ony time ah wint. Ye canna dee 'at wi yon lottery, or the pools either for 'at metter.

Jist ye listen tae an Aiberdonian fan ye wint some financeel advice!

As to a boat, at least half the fun, for me at any rate, is the maintenance, improvements, and generally pottering about aboard.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:08 am

claymore wrote:Davey - its good to know that amongst our serried ranks there lives a traditionalist. With all the talk nowadays of lottery winners its grand to hear of devotee of Vernons and Littlewoods.

Aye, weel, its really inertia. Ah've haen a standin order on Littlewoods fur donkey's years - even had the odd win - nothin substantial ye understaund, an no enough tae cover the stake. Also £1 a week on the lottery - same result. Premium Bonds are no bad - an average o about £200 a year, similar to bank interest. And there's aye the hope o a "new boat" sized result....

Return to “Basically Boaty”