OARS !

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
starter
Midshipman

OARS !

Postby starter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 pm

please help me someone I'm a guest here and not really a sailor....here's the thing : have recently discovered an ancient pair of wooden oars in my parents' home - they are over 50 years old! the thing is they are covered in dust and haven't been moved for a long long time ...first of all how do you CLEAN them and TREAT them ? would they ever be seaworthy again ?

thanks in advance ! :)

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:44 am

Wipe off the dust (sorry) and see what condition of varnish is like. Wipe over with white spirit to clean up then rub down any bare or loose patches with sandpapery stuff. Several coats of varnish to finish. I broke an oar once where a ring of tacks to attach a leather collar had encouraged rot. Quite proud of myself - seemed the stuff of sagas.

starter
Midshipman

Postby starter » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:31 pm

at last an answer ! thanks spuddy ...what kind of varnish please ? am new to all this :D

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:15 pm

didn't want to be too detailed in case you were well up on other sorts of maintenance. If loose patches need it try rubbing down with about 120 grit; finish everything off with 180 to form a key for new varnish. Try B&Q who have packs of assorted grades - aluminium oxide is best, old fashioned glass paper doesn't last. You could use higher priced special varnishes but a pot of what's handy off the shelves should be fine. If twere me wouldn't use polyurethane cos it's very hard and chips and peels in my experience.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:15 pm

There is an excellent article about restoring varnished wood in the magazine Practical Boat Owner. It's on page 60 of its August 2008 edition which is currently available in most boaty shops (but I've just purchased mine tonight in WH Smith's on Manchester Piccadilly Railway Station.)
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Return to “Basically Boaty”