Four weeks to go

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Four weeks to go

Postby Silkie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Who's still likely/possible?

It's by no means impossible but quite a large number of ducks will have to line up for Silkie to be ready :( so I may seeking a berth again this year. :)
we can be heroes

User avatar
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Posts: 2453
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:27 pm
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot
Location: Bampotterie-sur-mer
Contact:

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Telo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Standing rigging still being worked on and the weather's not been terribly helpful, so afraid that it's looking increasingly unlikely that Telo will be in Scottish waters by that time.

:violin:

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Never say Never.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5517
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:49 pm

.
Planning on having Fairwinds ready but there are things still to be done.

Will be taking Catherine as crew this year, so please be gentle with her.
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby claymore » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:47 am

As Cruise Director, might I respectfully make a point of Order?
This is the Chentlemans Cruise and you are addressing us as Chentlemen and as Chentlemen we behave, practically almost all of the time.
So - Nicodemus - it is not us who need to be gentle - which of course we will be - but your Good self. Now see to it that you are.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Fingal
Old Salt
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:12 pm
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Fingal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:36 am

We are due to launch Cherry Ripe on Monday, so all being well I may be present if I can free myself of other obligations. A berth may well be available for your good self Mr Silkie.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

User avatar
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:10 am
Boat Type: Etap 30
Location: Me: Falkirk, Boat: Craobh

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby DaveS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Avilion is now believed to be in the water - I'll hopefully confirm this at the weekend. Subject to the usual caveats I intend to participate.

Apologies for the lack of contributions to the forum in the past few weeks - I've had a major computer issue, now hopefully resolved.
Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Silkie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:48 pm

DaveS wrote:I've had a major computer issue, now hopefully resolved.

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 too? :)
we can be heroes

User avatar
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:10 am
Boat Type: Etap 30
Location: Me: Falkirk, Boat: Craobh

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby DaveS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Silkie wrote:
DaveS wrote:I've had a major computer issue, now hopefully resolved.

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 too? :)


As it happens I did, last night in fact, and it seems to have worked fine.

About a month ago my 1 year old HP desktop came up with a "no connection" error message and I lost access to the LAN. The obvious things like rebooting and swapping the LAN cable did not work so I checked my guarantee and found I was on my last day! I promptly took the machine into PC World, but it had been a business sale and it seems that my contract was actually with HP. After several phone calls I got the fault registered with HP, but their records showed the guarantee expired in January (1 year after manufacture), so to progress the job I had to email them a scan of my receipt. Fortunately the old computer was working so that I could.

For the next few days I got calls telling me that the engineer had been unable to fit me in, but he eventually arrived with a new motherboard. This seemed like overkill - I had expected a replacement network card but apparently they no longer exist. With the board replaced the fault remained and attempts to reload drivers were rejected - "insufficient resource" - which was obvious nonsense. He consulted his boss and the conclusion was that an OS reload was required. I had not been supplied with discs so these would be posted to me and someone would talk me through the procedure which would involve wiping the HD. This was a major pain but I copied all my data files on to an external drive then copied those less than a year old on to my old computer, which got me back more or less to where I was before the fault.

After a week or so the discs arrived and a few days later I got the "talk through" phone call. It did not go to plan. After an hour it was decided that another engineer visit would be required. Another week or so went by. Then the old computer failed. It would not boot up, but wanted to do a "full recovery" which would involve wiping the HD. Back to PC world for a new laptop and a caddy to take the HD from the old PC so that I could copy data off it. This did not work. The partitions showed the right amount of data held but none of the files in the D partition were visible: I suspect the FAT is missing or corrupted. (Anybody know if this is fixable?)

Eventually an engineer arrived and, several hours later, my PC was working again, but with very little on it. I'm gradually getting things reloaded - I downloaded the printer drivers today after yesterday's attempt failed. With the machine so "empty" I thought that it would be in the best state to accept the nagging about upgrading to W10.
Image

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Silkie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:10 pm

sheesh!
we can be heroes

User avatar
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Posts: 4011
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:55 pm
Boat Type: Claymore
Location: Northern Hemisphere

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby claymore » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 am

Silks - when you wrote "Four weeks to go" on April 11th - what date did yoo have in mind?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5517
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:01 am

.

My Chents Cruise was to have been next weekend, the traditional May weekend.

However, I have postponed launch as next week is looking increasingly foul, with very cold blustery Northerlies setting in for the whole week.

It will now be an opportunist launch midweek if the weather improves . . . if not, then we can wait for another week or so.

Should we postpone to mid-May or even the end of the month?
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
cpedw
Old Salt
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 am
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS
Location: Oban

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby cpedw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:09 am

Nick wrote:... the traditional May weekend.

...next week is looking increasingly foul, with very cold blustery Northerlies setting in for the whole week.

Entirely consistent with the CC tradition in my limited experience.

Derek

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5517
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 am

IN defence of the institution can I call CC 2012 to the stand?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Fingal
Old Salt
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:12 pm
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Four weeks to go

Postby Fingal » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:28 am

Nick wrote:.

My Chents Cruise was to have been next weekend, the traditional May weekend.

However, I have postponed launch as next week is looking increasingly foul, with very cold blustery Northerlies setting in for the whole week.

It will now be an opportunist launch midweek if the weather improves . . . if not, then we can wait for another week or so.

Should we postpone to mid-May or even the end of the month?

Cherry Ripe is in the water and ready to go, Silkie has a provisional berth and I could easily take 2 more people. So long as they are sufficiently respectful and bring their own whisky.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal


Return to “CC2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest