On or off?

May weekend Fri 1st - Mon 4th of May 2015
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

On or off?

Postby Telo » Fri May 01, 2015 10:15 am

Is it on or off? I detect an understandable lack of enthusiasm.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: On or off?

Postby aquaplane » Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 am

We are tootling up the sound of Jura in a cold northerly. will be there eventually.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Fri May 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Seems off to us
In Ardfern but the weekend forecast is strong.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri May 01, 2015 4:00 pm

ParaHandy wrote:Seems off to us
In Ardfern but the weekend forecast is strong.

Hmm... Thanks Para. We wouldn't be coming up until tomorrow, but the Sat/Sun forecast for " increasing 7 to severe gale 9" is pretty offputting. We spent several hours last weekend tacking against 6s and 7s, and I'm afraid the prospect of an 8 or 9 is not very appealing. We'll wimp out.

Bloody shame as I'd been looking forward to seeing you all again. I'd thought of perhaps a hotel on Saturday night but not much available at short notice. If we find a place we might call in at Ardfern if you're still there.

Incidentally, there's a trad music session at The Barn near Lerags on Sunday afternoons, usually about half three, fourish IIRC. Might be worth a visit if sailing's off the agenda. If we come up I'll bring a guitar for His Omnipotence; we'll have flute and bouzouki.

If we don't come up I'll probably sit in with the tenor sax at the jazz jam session at the Dreadnought in Callander, threeish on first Sunday of the month. Always a good session.

MetOffice forecast at 1200 today;
Mull of Kintyre to Ardnamurchan Point - Strong winds are forecast

24 hour forecast: East 4 or 5, veering southeast 5 to 7. Smooth or slight, becoming moderate later. Occasional rain later. Good.

Outlook for the following 24 hours: Southeast 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 for a time. Moderate or rough, becoming rough or very rough for a time. Rain or showers. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri May 01, 2015 4:33 pm

UPDATE: We're definitely wimping out, and, having spoken to His Preponderance, it seems that the skipper and crew of Claymore have decided to head south tomorrow. Great shame altogether but there's no pleasure in fighting an 8/9.

I believe that Blue Shift may be at Kerrera (which will be uncomfortable in a strong southeasterly) and Chiron is somewhere in the Sound of Jura. Hats off guys, but I'm afraid that you're made of better stuff than wirsels.

So, for us, we'll forget the Oban/Ardfern hotel option. It's the jazz session in Callander for us on Sunday, Dreadnought Hotel, threeish.

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri May 01, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm still in Tasty Pastry land So the closest I will get to sailing is having a look on the Ardfern Yacht Centre web cam...

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

It's been a beautiful sailing day today.

Just been out to Fairwinds with the new bunkboard and put the anchor rode back in the (new) anchor locker.

All I need now is a new anchor rode.

Off up the T&T for a swift half. Sorry I am not going to see any of you.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat May 02, 2015 1:14 am

Did anyone go sailing?
- Nick 8)

Green Boat
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Green Boat » Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

A select group gathered aboard Cherry Ripe at Kerrera on Friday evening. Aquaplane and Blue Shift headed for PD this morning but I decided to stay put. We had a lovely but slow sail down the Lyn of Lorn on Friday but it's not nice out now. The rival Chents' Cruise, the RHYC muster at Loch Spelve has been cancelled, we hear.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Return to “CC2015”