dorus mor

Lucy
Midshipman
Boat Type: beneteau ocean is 393

dorus mor

Postby Lucy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:25 pm

If heading for kerrera from ardfern what would be the best time to leave ardfern if sailing on Monday 4 Aug to get through dorus mor safely
? Can anyone help this beginner to sail in please????

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: dorus mor

Postby aquaplane » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:31 am

I'm assuming that you have tide tables but just in case you don't HW Oban today is 11:42 BST

The CCC Kintyre to Ardnamurchan cruising directions work for me, the info is in there but Claymore of this parish has generated a usefull little table:

http://www.yotblog.com/claymore/2012/01 ... ate-chart/

which states that the west going stream starts +3:30 which would be about 15:10 today. It depends on you and your boat but I would motor out of Loch Craignish and give myself an hour and a bit to get there.

Having looked at the forecast a Westerly wind should push you along nicely but I would aim to get to Dorus Mor a bit before the tide turns in your favour because once the flow is well established I would expect a bit of a chop with the wind over tide.

Some of the folk who keep boats @ Ardfern will know better.

Enjoy.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Excellent stuff Wee Rabbie.
Perhaps the response might be improved wi a bit of a culinary tip - Mebbes a suggestion of how long to dunk yer Goosnargh cake in yer Yorkshire tea and whether this is best done approaching, in the middle or as a celebration once you can see Shuna house?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:03 pm

I'd have the tea before casting off.

Where is Shuna house?

I could have said about 2 but I thought showing the working would mean less questions later. Give 'em a fish or teach 'em to fish sort of thing.

How's Patriot? We are lakesailoring for the first time in a while this W/E, have you been near this season?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:20 pm

The White House at the end of the Island

Not been up to either boat for ages. Am in Daneland again so no chance for another week or two.
Am sailing back to Fleetwood for the winter but the diary fairy seems to have been at work filling in any blank spaces so not sure how that will work out. At least I don't have to back to work next week 8)
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “CC2014”