Shallow Graves In Siberia

What would prove yer ginger credentials to claim a Scottish Passport?

Owning a Jimmy Hat?
17%
Reciting your repertoire of anti Jimmy Hill Jokes?
No votes
Drinking whiskey without water?
17%
Enjoying a deep fried Mars Bar?
17%
Wearing a gillie with a kilt and boots?
17%
Having asthma, high blood pressure, angina and diabetes?
33%

Total votes: 6

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat May 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Michael Krupa
ISBN 978 1 84 341 012 6

True story about a Polish bloke who runs away from a Gulag and walks to Afghanistan.

This old bloke now lives in Britain and was persuaded to write his story in 1988. The author trained as a Jesuit in Poland before WW2, left the order and joined the Polish army. WW2 starts and after the Pols are overrun he eventually is caught by the Russians (who are on the side of Germany at this point). Thinking he is spy, he ends up in the Lubyanka and is the processed onwards to a Gulag in Siberia. Realising that the rations and work will be the death of him, he contrives his escapes and wanders southwards .........

A fascinating story and worth reading in my opinion. As you know I read a lot of pulp zombie junk but every now and again I come across a paper back (always looking for good books) that attracts my eye which turns out to be a fascinating read, this is one of them. It shows that with a bit of skill, a bit of ingenuity, some thought and a fair dose of luck, the impossible can happen.

...... Talking of Pols, I haven't had one for a while.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Shallow Graves In Siberia

Postby Nick » Sat May 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Nice poll.

Re. zombie junk - is World War Z worth a read for a zombie novice?
- Nick 8)

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: Shallow Graves In Siberia

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun May 17, 2015 4:13 am

World War Z, the book, is nothing like the film, they are completely different stories. The book is post Zombie apocalypse and is a journalist's collection of stories from various people involved in the events from beginning to end. It is not a blood, guts and flesh eating stories by far. It's a well written book and interesting from the genre perspective because the humans regain the world from the zombies as witnessed through the stories. If you have seen the film you will recognise the interpretation of some of the books stories. The scene where the zombies in the film climb the walls of Jerusalem by piling up, is actually a story about how the poor in a city try to get into the wealthy secured luxury flats by piling up to get to the top of the wall.

I read it on my sons Kindle (first experience of Kindle) and couldn't put the device down. I recommend it!
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Return to “Book Club”