Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:11 pm

This looks like a good read - click the pic below to go to it on Amazon:

ONE LIFE TO LIVE, ONE BOAT TO SAIL

The “Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor” offers an interesting insight into the seafaring life of Cully Pettigrew, who has one passion and obsession, to sail the rough seas off the West Coast of Scotland, one of the last wildernesses in Europe and Mecca for yachtsmen the world over!

Thirty three years and over 25,000 miles in the same boat is one hell of a journey, and Pettigrew`s lively and thought-provoking account of this experience viewed from his strong belief in living the one life to the full, present a unique perspective of interest to both sailor and landlubber alike.
Starting in 1979, his story is taken directly from the five log-books of his yacht, Papillon of Carden, and will be of serious interest to any sailor planning to explore the West Coast of Scotland by giving a record of the remote anchorages visited, distances covered, and further adventures experienced, all beautifully illustrated with over one hundred original colour images. The diary ends in 2012 with the author`s “year of sailing dangerously”, and these close calls may just have been the catharsis leading to his autobiography.

His hope is to give future voyagers the inspiration to float their dreams onto water, and not to remain self -engrossed, immobile or slow to seek another truth which may lie just over the horizon. His tale will be of additional interest to the arm chair sailors happy to allow others to experience the discomfort of hard sailing in sometimes treacherous conditions!

Much more than just a sailing story, the author gives a vivid insider account of his life as a Scottish art dealer, and lively discusses his core belief in “one life to live”, how mindfulness and keeping an open mind are essential for us all to live in harmony, further expanding his strong views on anti-consumerism and materialism and the dramatic part technology is presently playing in all our lives. He projects the theory our society may be drifting into a second “Dark Age”, and ends with a prediction of the future of our biosphere with mankind at the helm, just, but Gaia in ultimate charge.

Norman Stone, Professor of International Relations at Bilkent University, Ankara: “lively and original, like the thoughts of an Irish monk of the St Columba vintage setting out in a coracle”
- Nick 8)

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Hebridean Diary of a Serial Sailor

Postby wully » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:26 am

Downloaded it a few days ago and started reading it earlier on this evening.
Skipped through most of the hippy and art dealer bit in the beginning cos it was contradictory. How can some one who is anti materialistic be an art dealer selling ornaments to folk with plenty spare cash? How can he also square this anti-materialism with owning two houses and a yacht?

I hope the sailing bit is better.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:46 am

I'm trying not to be prejudiced, but I'm unsure if a recommendation by a former adviser to Mrs T is very convincing.....

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:04 am

Shard wrote:I'm trying not to be prejudiced, but I'm unsure if a recommendation by a former adviser to Mrs T is very convincing.....

Doesn't that depend on what his advice was?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 am

Shard wrote:I'm trying not to be prejudiced, but I'm unsure if a recommendation by a former adviser to Mrs T is very convincing.....

It's a book review, not a manifesto . . .
- Nick 8)

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Jings, crivvens an' help ma boab!

Ah didna ken oor webmeister was an adviser tae Mrs T ! !

We ARE in exalted company indeed!

Ah'll try an' rember tae tug ma' forelock the next time we meet, however that micht be a wee bittie difficult since it was a gey few years sine ah hid a forelock! ! ! !
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Rowana wrote:Ah didna ken oor webmeister was an adviser tae Mrs T ! !

Bloody hell! Nick and Norman Stone................

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:32 pm

On the sailing bit now- much better.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Just finished it. A good read, he must have worn a groove through Corryvreckan!
Like Wull I skimmed the 2 end bits and concentrated on the saily bit which I enjoyed.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Sandgrounder
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Trapper 500

Postby Sandgrounder » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 pm

As said previously, if you miss the end bits, the sailing section is pretty readable.
I think, as with many books available free on e-readers, it could do with some serious editing.

Return to “Book Club”