Second Sleep, Robert Harris

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Second Sleep, Robert Harris

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:17 am

Set in Great Britain 1000 years after the apocalypse, the cause of which is not really known, except there was a rapid collapse of a technologically advanced society. Now, Britain is agricultural based relying on medieval technology. The priests run the show because man's ancient immorality led to the apocalypse. Old tech is known about and still around, but like old books it is banned to collect it and none of it works anyway, electricity now a mystery.
A priest is sent to a village by the bishop to bury the local priest after news of his passing. However, the priest discovers old books and missing ledgers that record the names of those who have been born and died in the village. Through a series of explorations and betrayals, the writings of a historical society now branded heretic the truth from the past is slowly uncovered which has a profound meaning for the villagers.

A great read that starts slowly as it builds the scene and characters. Initially, a little information and teasing clues are introduced about what may have happened to us, at the end of our society. The story develops at a more rapid pace until the struggle for knowledge and to understand the facts results in a calamitous finale that has deep implications for the village.

I bought it as an audio book, great listening.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Second Sleep, Robert Harris

Postby claymore » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:41 am

I've had this on my Kindle since the summer. I quite like Robert Harris but thought this was a fairly weak and contrived plot. The romance line between the young Priest and the Lady of the Manor was unrealistic and for me, a weak strand.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: Second Sleep, Robert Harris

Postby cpedw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:47 am

I just noticed that it's being read on Radio 4 at midday. Today is part 4 of 10.

Return to “Book Club”