Scottish Canals - Pricing Consultation and Survey

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Scottish Canals - Pricing Consultation and Survey

Postby marisca » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:06 pm

I almost hate to do this 'cos it requires effort on all our parts but it is a chance for us to get our oar in. Scottish Canals have commissioned a pricing survey from consultants - I haven't read the 102 pages fully, actually I barely skimmed it, 'cos it needs some time to absorb. So far I am not impressed! https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/corporate/meetings-consultations/pricing-consultation-review/
If you feel, like me, that Scottish Canals have been taking the piss with their transit price hikes, it behoves you to make the effort.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Scottish Canals - Pricing Consultation and Survey

Postby claymore » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Marisca, my Dear Old thing
I am now firmly convinced that you are in the employ of Survey Monkey,Ipsos Mori or similar....
Have printed a copy off for some bedtime reading.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 pm

I wonder when someone will design a survey that solicits opinion rather than aim to confirm an already held opinion by the surveyor?

The main emphasis seems to be on how to price moorings along the canal, using housing rentals as a basis for comparison.
There's little emphasis on transit through the canals.
Extrapolations of a very small number of opinions expressed at poorly advertised and poorly attended "consultation" meetings abound.

I do agree that the Crinan shower block looks good but performs poorly.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:05 pm

As has been said, the "survey" focusses on residential and long-term letting of berths and in the executive summary there is the breathtaking assumption that a "fair" price for a berth rent is 40% of the rental of a 2-3 bedroom flat! So they compare a bricks-and-mortar house complete with heating, hot and cold running water, sanitary and cooking facilities and a commitment by the landlord to maintain the property in a safe and habitable condition to the permission to tie up to a bit of muddy banking.

As for the "consultation", for Crinan Canal that consisted of a meeting on 2 February in Ardrishaig. I am amazed that as many as 7 people attended.

I will try to submit a response to the survey as if we do not, they will claim that they "consulted fully" before they do what the hell they want. OK, they will probably do that anyway.
Ken

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Canals cost fortunes to run...

They could save some dosh by binning the ' consultants' ( pot, kettle,black..)

FWIW I think the Crinan Nollie is great value but now much prefer to sail round if I can and am looking for an excuse to use the Cally canal.

The money spent on the Forth&Clyde seems to be generating income in the areas it was meant to.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”