Oban Transit Marina

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Oban Transit Marina

Postby marisca » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:25 am

Who is it who votes for A&B councillors? Someone must but I have never heard a good word spoken about them. According to our taxi driver (Tesco to Duncan's pontoon) the eejits have squandered the CHORD money earmarked for the transit pontoons on the new pavements though no-one seems to know what was wrong with the old. Is this true?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Oban Transit Marina

Postby Telo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:35 am

A pal who worked for a different council quoted me a figure for each of the blocks now being laid. The costs seemed so exorbitant that I wondered if my hearing was faulty (or my pal got the price wrong).

A&B were complicit in the destruction of one of Scotland's finest Victorian railway stations. I do not understand how they got away with it.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:09 pm

The paving slabs for the new pavements cost £60 each.
- Nick 8)

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:19 pm

I dodged those barriers to pedestrian perambulation in May, June and July. Last time I was there, it still wasn't finished.
And I really wondered about the timing... Imagine that - we would get the maximum disruption if we ripped up the main street in the height of the tourist season. Oban doesn't need tourism surely?

And the pavers? I saw two cracked - possibly as a result of poor laying practice. I did watch a little while - seeing that they were working well into the evening (rack up that overtime boys) - and thought it might not last to long done like that.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”