Lowland Canals

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Lowland Canals

Postby marisca » Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 am

Scottish Canals claim to want your input on their "boating product". Remember, this year they have stopped the hindered passage scheme in the Crinan but the price has been hiked exorbitantly cf the previous unhindered passage; Carron/Clyde is the same price as the Caledonian and the opening hours seem to be shorter every year. Have fun!

Dear Boater,

It’s been a while since we’ve surveyed our transit customers to get a full picture of people’s feelings about the Lowland Canals boating product and we’d therefore be very grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete our brief online survey (link below) by Sunday 15th May 2016.
We’re delighted to say that everyone who completes the survey will be entered into an end of season draw to have a chance of winning a free weekend break in one of the beautiful canal side holiday cottages.
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CYV3XKF
Many thanks in advance for your assistance,

Paula Carson - Customer Relations Supervisor - Scottish Canals
Email: Paula.Carson@scottishcanals.co.uk
*please feel free to forward this onto any boaters who transit or may wish to transit in the future. If they would like to be added onto our communications database, please ask them to drop me an email*

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Re: Lowland Canals

Postby pagoda » Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 pm

marisca wrote:Scottish Canals claim to want your input on their "boating product". Remember, this year they have stopped the hindered passage scheme in the Crinan but the price has been hiked exorbitantly cf the previous unhindered passage; Carron/Clyde is the same price as the Caledonian and the opening hours seem to be shorter every year. Have fun!

Dear Boater,

It’s been a while since we’ve surveyed our transit customers to get a full picture of people’s feelings about the Lowland Canals boating product and we’d therefore be very grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete our brief online survey (link below) by Sunday 15th May 2016.
We’re delighted to say that everyone who completes the survey will be entered into an end of season draw to have a chance of winning a free weekend break in one of the beautiful canal side holiday cottages.
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CYV3XKF
Many thanks in advance for your assistance,

Paula Carson - Customer Relations Supervisor - Scottish Canals
Email: Paula.Carson@scottishcanals.co.uk

*please feel free to forward this onto any boaters who transit or may wish to transit in the future. If they would like to be added onto our communications database, please ask them to drop me an email*

The use of the description "boater" makes me want to throw up. It probably adequately captures the essence of the dodgem drivers (rented mobos) on the Caley, but nobody else I can think of. It just goes to show how far out of touch the Canal bods are with the sailing canal users. I use canals as short cuts, only if time and weather dictate. As most people would I suspect. Been round Orkney back to the Clyde, Malin head as well, so the MOK does not put me off, other than timing the tide carefully. It's slightly tempting to rewrite the old puffer song as a positive choice of the MOK. After all, we're not battering round it with 6" of freeboard and 100 tons of coal!

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Lowland Canals

Postby marisca » Thu May 12, 2016 10:15 pm

I feel sorry for all the wage slaves who have missed summer - looks like it will be down to the triple point of water by the weekend.

Meanwhile I have had a cracking sailing time and even went through the Crinan Canal on Tuesday - or should that be "sampled Scottish Canals' boating product in the role of a boater". The extra assistance provided for a mere £60 is supplied by the Yotspot, the new chandlery/restaurant in Ardrishaig and the expertise of the callow youths can only get better. The Ardrishaig main road bridge was refusing to co-operate when I locked in and it was suggested that the problem might be vaguely associated with all sluices being left open on lock 3 by said callow youths causing the basin water level to reach unprecedented heights and possibly the bridge workings.
Crinan toilets are vastly improved - 3 pegs in each shower cubicle and a barrier between the cubicles to contain the flooding. There is a mirror in the gents though placed to be no use for any wet shavers, still no coat pegs in the cludgy stalls. All in all, a very pleasant trip and the staff were a joy as usual.

And for you wage slaves here's a wherewuzI from today Image

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”