St Kilda Race

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: St Kilda Race

Postby Aja » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:03 am

Jonnnie Readman knows his onions. PRO at Scottish Series.

Donald

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 pm

I see a new replacement NOR has been posted on the Calmac site.
As predicted (with a good organiser now on board), this NOR makes sense.

It still requires an IRC cert, but it allows for a Single Event Rating (quite cheap), but there's a minor glitch meantime in applying for that SER. While the race is on the website as an approved race to use an SER, the on-line application system hasn't yet caught up with that fact, so prevents an applicant completing the application form.

Its starting to look exciting again for this new race!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Getting better but still no mention of an "organising authority" as required by RRS. Still a stupidly early start though now a wee bit closer to Loch Maddy. I think I'll wait till the next iteration.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:53 am

I didn't understand the idea of changing from describing start point as 3 miles off Ensay rather than the original off Pabbay. Its about the same place! (though scope for being closer inshore to Ensay?)
Geoff.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:48 am

Another iteration of the "Notice of Race" has been issued. Entry date is now the end of May. Boat length requirement has been removed as has mandatory AIS and/or a method of recording GPS track. Still a silly start time though now it is "the first warning signal will be not be made before 09.25hrs" which I suppose gives latitude. As well as the race, there is a cruise in company to Village Bay - same OSR Cat 3 with liferaft requirements. Race cost is £120 (£150 > 50') +~£30 for a single event IRC rating.

I am in twa minds. On one hand, I feel inclined to support any and all attempts to increase yachting participation in our waters and I usually relish a challenge, on the other, I feel less than enthused by the organisational messing about (teething troubles or naivety?) and I am having difficulty in seeing the value of £150 for 24 hours sailing even if there is a party before and after. I thought that if I ever did get to St Kilda one day I would like to do it at leisure, with weather of my choosing (though early June has a better chance than most for no gales) and probably also visit the Monachs and Flannan Isles before popping into Loch Roag to visit my sister.

Good luck to Geoff who seems much more determined and committed than I !

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Yes, I'm in, registered, paid and got my IRC cert OK now. (0.826 if interested, should be a help!).
Crew will be eldest son, and two friends with good blue-water experience.
I note that there are about 63 names on the email list to entrants and those who showed interest. That doesn't mean over 60 entries though, but even half that will make a nice event.

I'm intending leaving the boat at Oban area for the Round Mull that follows not long after.
That will about use up my remaining holidays other than a few short sorties, and weekend adventures (such as next Saturday's Round Bute, CCC Race).

I think there will be at least one other Rival involved.
Geoff.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”