West Coast Informal Music Sessions

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

West Coast Informal Music Sessions

Postby Telo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:24 am

Wondered if it might be worth starting a thread listing regular known sesh locations.

The Barn, Lerags; bit of a hike to get there (taxi?), Sundays about 1600, trad music, visitors and locals;

Western Isles Hotel, Tobermory, 1800 - 2100, probably trad sesh, to be investigated...

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Re: West Coast Informal Music Sessions

Postby Telo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Shard wrote:Western Isles Hotel, Tobermory, 1800 - 2100, probably trad sesh, to be investigated...

Western Isles Hotel, Tobermory, SUNDAYS, 1800 - 2100........

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Shard wrote:
Shard wrote:Western Isles Hotel, Tobermory, 1800 - 2100, probably trad sesh, to be investigated...

Western Isles Hotel, Tobermory, SUNDAYS, 1800 - 2100........

Called in earlier; good musicians, friendly, wide range, but "open mic" rather than a normal pub sesh. Amplified guitar and vocals seems to be the thing, and I kind of got the impression that it wasn't really a "joining-in" session.

For us the highlight was some amazing playing on the hammer dulcimer by Jack Bethel (www.jackbethel.webs.com/).

We had to leave early so perhaps there's more of a session later. Pleasant enough, good performers (Jack Bethel was outstanding), but afraid that it was just not our bag.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 am

Tigh an Truish, Seil (Puilladobhrain)

Open Mike session the last Sunday in every month, 3pm - 6pm
- Nick 8)

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:01 pm

The Old Inn, Carbost, Loch Harport, Skye: Wed night trad sessions, Fri night bit of everything, open to anyone who wants to join in.
Dunvegan- Cellar bar- Thu night trad sessions
Edinbane, Isle of Skye, the Inn has up to three sessions a week. Wee bit of a walk in from the anchorage but as it's my local I have to give it a plug. Any forumites in the area do drop me a line :)

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Mavanier wrote:The Old Inn, Carbost, Loch Harport, Skye: Wed night trad sessions, Fri night bit of everything, open to anyone who wants to join in.

Ah yes, good call. We had the pleasure of a session there with Farquhar MacDonald on fiddle and Ali Pentland, one of the original Peatbog Faeries, on guitar.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Shard wrote:
Mavanier wrote:The Old Inn, Carbost, Loch Harport, Skye: Wed night trad sessions, Fri night bit of everything, open to anyone who wants to join in.

Ah yes, good call. We had the pleasure of a session there with Farquhar MacDonald on fiddle and Ali Pentland, one of the original Peatbog Faeries, on guitar.

Ali's my neighbour, cracking musicians the pair of them. I tag along on bass whenever I get the chance.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:35 am

Mavanier wrote:Ali's my neighbour, cracking musicians the pair of them. I tag along on bass whenever I get the chance.

Some folk have all the luck. Unfortunately, this year's summer cruise will be shorter than usual, but I can feel a return visit to Carbost coming on.....

Totaig
Midshipman
Boat Type: cruiser

Postby Totaig » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Plockton, Thursdays at Kenny's (Plockton Inn) and down at he back bar of the Plockton Hotel on Wednesdays.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Mavanier wrote:Any forumites in the area do drop me a line :)

No internet access for quite a while. Arrived Carbost from Eriskay on Friday (bumpy but fast passage) and had great evening session in the Old Inn with Farquhar, Ali and Stuart (bodhran) plus Jim from Rival "Rona" on fiddle, and Gavin Clarke from Stirling on banjo (we play with Gav quite often and all very surprised at bumping into each other - Gav didn't know about the session and had come up to take friends up Sgur Alasdair).

On Saturday afternoon, while Gav was on the hill, Jim and I had a bonus session with ceilidh band Blackrock from Dornoch area, on their way to a gig in Shieldaig. Bit off route, but they fancied a blast at Carbost to break up the journey. Their fiddle player, Fiona, played a marvellous own-composition called "Forest Fires", not recorded or published. Well worth a listen if you come across the band.

Evening rounded off with a great set by Fras (with Tam the Banjo who used to be based at Inverie).

The Old Inn ("possibly the best pub in Carbost") is, I believe, probably one of the finest session pubs in Scotland. Outstanding.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Incidentally, Terry, who sails a nice looking Netherlands-built motorsailer out of Seil (good windward performance, BTW), was saying that the Tigh an Truish has started Sunday sessions. Nick , do you have details, please?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Shard wrote:Incidentally, Terry, who sails a nice looking Netherlands-built motorsailer out of Seil (good windward performance, BTW), was saying that the Tigh an Truish has started Sunday sessions. Nick , do you have details, please?

Erm . . . If you look above you will see that I posted about this . . .
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:02 pm

Yes, thanks Nick, and apologies for forgetting that you're already done the biz.

Anyway, great sesh @ The Barn yesterday. Started about half four and finished around nineish.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:56 am

There are irregular events at Benderloch Victory Hall. Last night we saw Allan Taylor there. He plays a mean guitar.

I've been prowling the web to find advance information of other events. This is the best I can find http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/13776867.Arts_News/ in the 2nd paragraph.

The organisers are Campbell & Joy who have this business website http://www.achnamoine.co.uk which has contact info and booking information (for last night!).

They advertise locally and I think they run an email newsletter.

Derek

ps Victory Hall is about the dreariest venue I have attended.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:29 pm

cpedw wrote:There are irregular events at Benderloch Victory Hall. Last night we saw Allan Taylor there. He plays a mean guitar.

I've been prowling the web to find advance information of other events. This is the best I can find http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/13776867.Arts_News/ in the 2nd paragraph.

The organisers are Campbell & Joy who have this business website http://www.achnamoine.co.uk which has contact info and booking information (for last night!).

They advertise locally and I think they run an email newsletter.

Derek

ps Victory Hall is about the dreariest venue I have attended.

I just noticed "informal" in the thread title. These do's at Benderloch are for Performers and Audience, two separate groups.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”