Stranraer Marina?

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
User avatar
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:55 am
Boat Type: Contessa 32
Location: Edinburgh

Stranraer Marina?

Postby marisca » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:54 am

According to the Beeb Dumfries & Galloway are heading towards a 307 berth marina in the harbour.at a cost of £6M. It's a 7nm trip down (and back out) Loch Ryan - not something I'm likely to take for a night in a boat park.

User avatar
sahona
Admiral of the White
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore
Location: Clyde

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby sahona » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 am

Maybe something you'd use if weather and tide were hurting too much on a (badly) planned Galloway Bypass trip?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

User avatar
mm5aho
Old Salt
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 pm
Boat Type: Rival 32
Location: West Lothian
Contact:

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby mm5aho » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Bit difficult to see that being popular with anyone other than those resident in Stranraer?

I've been in Loch Ryan a few times, but only about as far as that awkward spit opposite Cairnryan, and anchored inside there overnight. Don't think it'd be a great place in a blow, though the holding seemed good.

I reckon a marina needs to be on the route to the boat - ie from home to sea, its a place to stop and collect the boat. (for a home berth). There can always be reasons for otherwise of course.
For visitors, it needs to be either on the way to somewhere, a handy stopping off point - at a destination.
Handily placed marinas to my mind include Campbeltown, Tobermory, Oban, Bangor, Ballycastle.

Rhu for us, is handy for the one who lives there, but not for me. That last few miles from about the Rothesay - Largs line, seem to take forever in getting home. In calm weather, can get most of the cleanup and tidying away done and still have an hour to waste.

Stranraer? Can't see that being so successful.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

User avatar
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:10 am
Boat Type: Seastream 34
Location: Me: Falkirk, Boat: Craobh
Contact:

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby DaveS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:14 pm

mm5aho wrote:Bit difficult to see that being popular with anyone other than those resident in Stranraer?

I've been in Loch Ryan a few times, but only about as far as that awkward spit opposite Cairnryan, and anchored inside there overnight. Don't think it'd be a great place in a blow, though the holding seemed good.

I reckon a marina needs to be on the route to the boat - ie from home to sea, its a place to stop and collect the boat. (for a home berth). There can always be reasons for otherwise of course.
For visitors, it needs to be either on the way to somewhere, a handy stopping off point - at a destination.
Handily placed marinas to my mind include Campbeltown, Tobermory, Oban, Bangor, Ballycastle.

Rhu for us, is handy for the one who lives there, but not for me. That last few miles from about the Rothesay - Largs line, seem to take forever in getting home. In calm weather, can get most of the cleanup and tidying away done and still have an hour to waste.

Stranraer? Can't see that being so successful.


Possibly, but, unless it's just a ploy to hoover up grants, you would expect that some calculations have been made, and there's now been a few years experience of the existing wee marina.

Two thoughts occur: (a) The length of Loch Ryan is about half the distance of Rothesay to Rhu; and (b) it depends where you're starting from and how much time you're prepared to spend on the journey. Stranraer is about a 2 hour drive from Carlisle, 3 hours from Newcastle. It takes me over 3 hours to get to Craobh from Falkirk.
Image

User avatar
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace
Location: Body: West Yorks; Boat: Tayvallich
Contact:

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 pm

It's about the same as the distance up Loch Sween to Tayvallich, but Tayvallich is fairly bonny when you get there.

We can also clean the boat/cook a meal on the last leg home. It is a couple of hours at the beginning and end of each trip we tolerate because the mooring is sheltered and cheap compared to the alternatives.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

User avatar
mm5aho
Old Salt
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 pm
Boat Type: Rival 32
Location: West Lothian
Contact:

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby mm5aho » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I admit that I'd completely overlooked the possibility of people from England coming to a southern Scottish Marina in order to enjoy the waters here!

I can't see anyone wanting to just "hoover" up grants. There has to be an on-going business case to get a grant (usually), and the main investor would surely want a long term future for such a venture.
Maybe they have done their homework and it might work?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

User avatar
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Posts: 3493
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Hurley 22
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Contact:

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby Silkie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:24 pm

From the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... d-33310816

The proposal includes:
◾307 berths between the West Pier marina and the new South Quay marina
◾A causeway linking the East Pier to the South Quay
◾Comprehensive physical and visual links between East Pier, South Quay and West Pier
◾Events berthing and water space
◾New marina offices, toilets and expanded 75-space boatyard
◾Commercial opportunities for a marine hub, offices, leisure and retail
◾Increased parking and new public space.

The business case backs that option but accepts that a private operator would be unlikely to be found.

"Due to the low projected returns it seems unlikely, at this stage, that an independent marina developer would find the project appealing and therefore it is likely that the council will need to run the expanded marina or grant a management contract/ operational lease," it states.
different colours made of tears

User avatar
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:55 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace
Location: Body: West Yorks; Boat: Tayvallich
Contact:

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 pm

mm5aho wrote:I admit that I'd completely overlooked the possibility of people from England coming to a southern Scottish Marina in order to enjoy the waters here!


I can't speak for other Englandshire residents but Stranraer wouldn't appeal to us.

The day it takes us to get to Oban from Tayvallich would only take an extra hour by car so being based less time from home but further from "the nicer bits of Argyle". I suppose we would spend more time visiting Ireland or the Clyde if we were setting off from down there though.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

User avatar
pagoda
Master Mariner
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance
Location: Near Montrose, boat on the Firth of Clyde

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby pagoda » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Silkie wrote:From the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... d-33310816

The proposal includes:
◾307 berths between the West Pier marina and the new South Quay marina
◾A causeway linking the East Pier to the South Quay
◾Comprehensive physical and visual links between East Pier, South Quay and West Pier
◾Events berthing and water space
◾New marina offices, toilets and expanded 75-space boatyard
◾Commercial opportunities for a marine hub, offices, leisure and retail
◾Increased parking and new public space.

The business case backs that option but accepts that a private operator would be unlikely to be found.

"Due to the low projected returns it seems unlikely, at this stage, that an independent marina developer would find the project appealing and therefore it is likely that the council will need to run the expanded marina or grant a management contract/ operational lease," it states.



I find it difficult to believe something on that scale would work?
If I have to stop in Loch Ryan again, I'd just drop the hook in the Wig as before. Quiet, fairly shallow, good sand. What more do you need? If I want a marina there is Bangor just over the water, or even Glenarm!
Nice idea lacking in commercial reality...

User avatar
sahona
Admiral of the White
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore
Location: Clyde

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby sahona » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Possibly we need swap the local chamber of commerce with Obans?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

User avatar
sahona
Admiral of the White
Posts: 1982
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore
Location: Clyde

Re: Stranraer Marina?

Postby sahona » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:04 pm

Possibly we need swap the local chamber of commerce with Obans?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.


Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests