Marine Tourism Strategy Consultation 2014

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Marine Tourism Strategy Consultation 2014

Postby aquaplane » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:11 pm

marisca wrote:I still think their growth plan is to suck another 45% out of the existing sailing population simply by upping prices.

They can try all they like, I for one don't have a big budget.

When I retire my arms will get even shorter so I'm probably going to be spending less or maybe a similar amount over a longer time.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Piperatsea
Midshipman
Boat Type: Yacht

Postby Piperatsea » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm

These kinds of surveys depend on people answering the questions. All of your rants about governments and their likes are highly entertaining but are wasted effort because politicians don't read forums.
The whole point of this is to make a strategy which is good for the people who live in coastal areas. Remoteness is part of the appeal of the west coast and it will be forgotten if the only people who reply are those who favour new development.

So spend a few minutes and fill in the consultation instead of preaching to the converted. If you don't you have no right to complain.

And spare us the time reading replies about how politicians never listen and decisions have already been made and how we never landed on the moon etc. :D

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:15 am

Piperatsea wrote:.....
So spend a few minutes and fill in the consultation instead of preaching to the converted. If you don't you have no right to complain.

Not sure I agree with that, nothing like a bit of group moaning !
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:02 am

I started to to fill in the survey but the questions seem to assume some degree of sympathy and even understanding of the gobbledegook - I gave up at question 2. Stakeholders seem to be those who want to make money or increase their power, certainly not the yotties who already appreciate what they have.
This year I deliberately managed to avoid T'mory, Loch Aline, Mallaig though I did park on a pontoon in S'way for a week. The HIDB moorings were a great concept and were very much in keeping with my ideas of spreading the benefits of marine tourism without alienating the cash cows. A few pontoons like Duncan's at Oban for loading provisions/water and attaching dinghies could be the icing on the cake.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:37 pm

I have filled out the survey.

The document is really a strategy about establishing a strategy for marine tourism in Scotland. Marisca your comments are very good and should be added to the survey. You can always put 'No Comment' in sections that you do not wish to answer. The old HIDB buoys were a good idea but of course they were left to rot. The pontoons for dinghy mooring are also a good idea. In Scandinavia many islands have small, single berth pontoons, just to make that quick trip ashore or for easy dinghy access. I wish I had read your comments to add them in, so please do it, they are worth capturing.

I am not sure what they mean by authentic experiences though? Perhaps an American family, for example, could live for one night in a squalid bothy and then in the early hours of the morning, the local vicar and some hench men could force march them onto a leaky old sailing ship and then set sail for America while verbally abusing them about the will of God. Perhaps a David Balfor experience, where one sailed around the coast from Edinburgh, get nearly murdered and then finally shipwrecked and washed up on a lovely sandy beach off Mull. Maybe a more modern experience is needed, 'The Drum', sailing around with anticipation never knowing when a submarine will strike the vessel or the mast will collapse, or a second hand car salesmen will convince you to buy a car you really don't need in the middle of hairy spinnaker gybe, one could have a plastic automaton nessie, like the Jaws shark, which suddenly appears and sprays tourists with a foul stench and mock spittle. People pay a lot of money for that sort of anticipation experience.

Hold onto your wigs tonight, it is going to be windy!

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:16 pm

I also completed the survey and made the following points:

Need to include the local councils/local government and those who spend public funds on coastal infrastructure in the process:
planning support to actively encourage/mandateaccess to the water: jetties, launch ramps and ensure provision is made to launch kayaks, canoes, dinghies, ribs etc, park cars, safe storage for day-craft (to encourage people to leave a rib/canoe/dinghy and return in a week or two)
When Calmac build new piers/ramps (which is funded from the public purse) they should allow access for yachts to drop off and pick up crew, fill water tanks and facilitate diesel/fuelling and have a slip for dinghies/ ribs etc.
Bus and Train services: can you get to the boating hubs easily? if you leave a boat in a remote location, how do you get back to the central belt/airports and return to it using public transport?

Local Services: Encourage the ethos of "you're here so we're here to help" rather than the usual 9-5 mentality. fuel, gas, diesel, laundry provisions: if you run a local shop in a remote location, why not open up in the evening or leave a phone number so that a visitor can get what they need out of hours?
Help local communities make more money from visitors by publicising where good local support is available.
The "authentic" can become theme-park and that helps no one. Get the basics right and the local festivals and event will then benefit. If there is confidence that your boat can be safely moored, that you can get crew and provisions easily and that there is local advice and assistance easily available and more will be encouraged.

HIDB style moorings and basic infrastructure etc than all make even more sense.

Hi-Viz vest, method statements and bureaucracy: to be avoided!

As marisca says "My initial reaction was probably driven by selfishness"
I'd agree, hence the need to extend to others not directly engaged in the marine industry. BMF, RYA Scotland & Sail Scotland with support from the tourist/enterprise Quangos and crown estates. I believe you the need local government and those normally skeptical or negative to leisure marine activities involved from the start. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer!

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:24 pm

I agree with many of the comments recently posted.
The manner in which the consultation document was generated and assembled is unfortunately a sign of our times. Whoever wrote it swallowed volumes of jargonese beforehand. They live in an environment of targets and wish lists and empowerment (and other ephemeral stuff) that most normal folks can't begin to relate to.
Anyway, there are too many organisations involved to remotely come to a consensus. Commercial / governmental /environmental interests, all with their own agendas.

Some of what the West coast needs - in a modest low key fashion.
More local municipal visitor moorings -in the OLD HIDB mould, but maintained.
Some restrictions on filling safe anchorages with fish farms.
More development and maintenance of municipal peirs/harbours with visitors having access.

Event wise, I doubt most people would want anything more formal than WHW or the Malts. However there is probably scope for land based/harbour sea events to draw land based visitors into the net. They will spend more money than marine visitors to any of these events in any case.

A lot of the flavour of the document seems to perpetuate the assumption that the marine community is both well heeled and ripe for more fleecing. That is a badly misplaced outlook.
What Scotland could benefit from is ensuring that using the sea is more of a mainstream activity, rather than being considered a minority/well off sporting activity.
Having visited the west coast of Norway, with a similar total population, similar coastline, the entire environment is one of inclusion. Almost everybody has a boat they use somewhere. As a consequence, decent facilities abound. Good well maintained wee piers/ pontoons all over the place, occasional basic showers and washrooms. Nothing fancy, and not costly either.
While they are nice to visit occasionally , nobody really needs heated heavens like Portavadie showers, with hair driers/straighteners? and moisturiser? Maybe some people do.? Well I hope they stay well away from the quiet west coast anchorages I like, where you might meet a few seals or an otter if you are lucky.

I think the whole thing will be self limiting anyway. Nobody has the cash to re-fit the west coast to Solent marina standards (or costs thank God). Our climate is never good enough to be trustworthy on the scale of the South Coast, so that will limit activity and development as it always has.

Whatever comes out of this consultation will be couched in so many caveats and jargon it will be as readable as the original- and be as useful too , I reckon.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:48 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sco ... s-31056965

This is not the only strategy that appears to be flawed, now the Marine Policy is considered 'not fit for purpose'.

"Multiple uses are made of our marine environment, and increasingly these are coming into conflict, but the Scottish government's draft national marine plan does not provide a clear and concise set of policies that can be consistently applied by decision-makers and those using the marine environment.

"There is a danger the plan in its present form will create conflict by having highly prescriptive actions in some areas, while setting out vague aspirations in others.

The actual Marine Plan does have some interesting comments on sailing (and other leisure areas) which in principle look OK so far.

The Marine Plan http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0046/00465865.pdf

Worth a read if you are interested.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”