Small problem in Puilladob - you know where I mean.

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Small problem in Puilladob - you know where I mean.

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:57 pm

If it's the bigish paleish one towards the south end it's been there a few years. I heven't seen a boat on it when we have been in over the last couple of years though.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 pm

sahona wrote:We were there yesterday, and noted there was a mooring installed with what I think was a nic on it. Is this the start of the ruination of yet another anchorage?

Goad. you still out there Bill? Got no weddings to go to? people wanting to visit etc?

I saw a mooring down near the island at the south when we were in in June, but people were treating it as a visitor mooring, and quite right too. Serves anyone laying a mooring there right if they come back and find it occupied! There used to be a mooring for a creel boat a few years ago but in between the island and the shore where it is a bit too shallow to anchor.

I had not read this thread before I was in and the pool at the north is where I usually go but my space was taken, so I was down near the other island. I think one of the many "Claymore"s was in that night as well.
Ken

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 pm

Wight Dawn wrote:
sahona wrote:We were there yesterday, and noted there was a mooring installed with what I think was a nic on it. Is this the start of the ruination of yet another anchorage?

I saw a mooring down near the island at the south when we were in in June, but people were treating it as a visitor mooring, and quite right too. Serves anyone laying a mooring there right if they come back and find it occupied! There used to be a mooring for a creel boat a few years ago but in between the island and the shore where it is a bit too shallow to anchor.

The mooring in Puilladobhrain has been there for years. It is owned by a local fisherman who keeps his boat on it when he is fishing that side of the island.

A friend with a Twister uses it occasionally - with permission - as his house is just over the back from Puilladobhrain while his normal mooring - up by the bridge in Clachan Sound is only accessible at or near high water.

Please don't pick it up without permission.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Going back to the OP, a couple of weeks ago I had great difficulty recovering the anchor from PD's mud. It came up with several metres of heavy duty warp, the sort that perhaps a commercial vessel would use rather than a yacht. I'd guess that the rope had been buried in the mud for quite a while. We were, roughly, in the centre of the pool. The warp was removed and disposed of.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:02 am

Wight Dawn wrote:
Goad. you still out there Bill? Got no weddings to go to? people wanting to visit etc?

Unfortunately back home for a few days to sign documents... Took 4 months worth of pills with us, and then a stupid legal thing comes up - typical! I'm investigating power of attorney for the kids so I can have a proper uninterrupted holiday.
We left Troon on "D" day and were out until last Sunday, but will be back to pick up the boat and continue from Ardrishaig tomorrow - Doon the watter from now on. Nae visitors this year, we gave them crap hospitality last time - it works!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”