New moorings and pontoon in Ardminish Bay, Gigha

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
Storyline
Master Mariner

Re: New moorings and pontoon in Ardminish Bay, Gigha

Postby Storyline » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 am

DaveS wrote:
Storyline wrote:
cpedw wrote:Wrong as ever. Recent developments are described here. WHAM news

o/t - good to hear they are hopefully going to move that mooring in Ardalanish as it really spoils the desolate beauty of the place. Does not interfere with one boat anchoring but it is nearly in the centre of the pool and would make it difficult for a second boat (there is a powerful rib on it so you could bump into it when swinging without damage but the ground tackle could cause concern).

Edit: just had a look on google earth and on reflection maybe there is still room for 2-3 boats

Last year I decided (wrongly I expect) that the mooring made it a bit tight to anchor there so I went into the next bay north, which was OK but more subject to swell. Be good if the mooring goes!

This is a screengrab from GE.The date says 2014 but the mooring does not appear to be there so I have marked it from memory so it does appear that there is room. We anchored where the middle boat is (just south of the eastern islet) but would have definitely gone a bit further in had it not been there so I also really hope it goes.

Edit: apologies for continuing o/t :)
Edit 2: swmbo reckons the mooring may have been a bit further westwards, in a bit deeper water than I have shown.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Update Gigha, 27th Aug.
15t moorings all look new, and have big concrete block under (looks like). There's 6 x 25t floats ashore ready to install, various anchors etc. Jetty half dismantled. Notice ashore gives program, but according to that they are behind schedule. No sign of pontoons or system for them. Looks an ambitious scheme. Hope they upgrade the one leaky shower at boathouse. Brambles looking good and first are ready.
Now for the MoK.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:52 pm

The new moorings at Gigha, Ardminish Bay. Hardly visible, but both yachts on them. Held OK in F6-7 that night, but we didn't get much sleep!
In foreground are what look like new anchors for the bigger moorings yet to be installed.

The buoys for the 25t moorings.

I assume these are old mooring anchors?
Geoff.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 am

See on the wham site that the jetty is being demolished before a new one is built with the deep water (>2m) pontoon on the end. This is a bit of a disappointment as I understood that the plan was to keep the existing jetty (which I have soft spot for) and just build an extension. Maybe the structure was not in good condition.

It is obviously all good for the islanders but from a selfish point of view I cannot help feeling that the beauty of the place will be spoilt by large numbers of boats. It has always got busy in high summer but this year we went in July and there must have been between 20 & 30 boats which caused us to abandon our planned stay for a couple of nights and head off for some peace and quiet elsewhere. Have to keep it now for the beginning and end of the season.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:56 am

When I was last there (when I took the pix above), the jetty was part demolished. It really did look as if it should be replaced, it was really bad in places. In many cases it had parted company with the foundation blocks (round concrete pillars if I remember right), with scenery visible where there used to be steel / concrete.

I can't remember ever being there when it was crowded. Maybe I just time it right? That day there were two boats, that's us closest and another next mooring out in the picture.

I do like the brambles that are alongside the road up to the shop just past the restaurant. I remember one year picking a bucketload and making jam and scones back aboard, to the delight to the crew. All we missed was whipped cream to have with our afternoon tea - very civilised!
The pile of inscribed stones on that slope just up from the restaurant grows every year. If the numbers of boats predicted come, then it'll become a veritable quarry!
Geoff.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 pm

It was a Tuesday in July when we encountered so many boats so maybe there was some kind of rally or cruise in company going on.

It seems understandable that the old jetty be replaced, in actual use it was not all that friendly anyway with those two horizontal rails you could just get a toecap into and then haul yourself up onto the top which was surfaced with sharp stones. The rails did at least used to keep the dinghy from getting wedged underneath if the wind changed. No doubt the replacement will be tastefully designed !

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:46 pm

[quote="Storyline"]... The rails did at least used to keep the dinghy from getting wedged underneath if the wind changed. ... quote]

We have a delightful entry in the ships log in a schoolgirl's handwriting about how the dinghy did in fact get stuck under this very pier.
It seems a change of wind combined with rising tide (such as there is) caused the dinghy to blow underneath and get wedged.
Of course deflating the dinghy would mean not being able to get back to the boat, the pump being aboard.
It seems a "nice Italian man" (I think it says) came along and volunteered to go into the water to save the day. The log details more about what the "nice man" looked like, than what he did to rescue the dinghy, schoolgirl priorities of thinking being what they were then, and what they do doubt still are!

That schoolgirl now has her own daughter nearly as old. I guess the entry was about 1980's?
Geoff.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Storyline wrote: .... It is obviously all good for the islanders but from a selfish point of view I cannot help feeling that the beauty of the place will be spoilt by large numbers of boats.

My recollections too are that Gigha has always been quite busy, at least since the mid 1980s.

I do not think a few moorings are going to solve their problems http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-30176460 I see Gigalum is for sale, although I do not know if this is owned by Gigha's trust http://www.rettie.co.uk/property-for-sa ... e-of-gigha

I can imagine that it is easy to get into a lot of debt on these small islands with lots of small revenue streams, rather than any significant income generator, maybe I am wrong on this, just a thought.

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Tex
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Beneteau 36cc

Postby Tex » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 pm

From WHAMA site...

"There is excellent news from Gigha. The jetty (now to be called The Catwalk) should be finished around 20 March and there is to be a grand opening (Blessing of the facilities, BBQ, music etc) on the weekend of 15-17 May. This will mark completion of an ambitious and successful project to increase and hugely improve facilities at Gigha. With the excellent catering available at the jetty, Gigha will probably experience an increase in traffic from many boaters. More information to follow as we hear details of the plans for the opening."

Does anyone know if they are improving the shore side facilities too?

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:41 pm

Was there last night. Counted 24 ish moorings, mostly blue but some orange, reading the above it may be that the orange ones are for heavier boats but that's just me adding 2+2, I may have got 5, we didn't read the words on the buoys we anchored.

The jetty isn't finished but there is a gantry over the seaward concrete moulding. There is a chunk of metal which may be the anchor for the pontoon but no sign of a pontoon.

Work on the landward end of the jetty is looking promising with boulders piled up as though they mean it but that is still a building site too.

The lady in the Boathouse wondered why we didn't want to eat with them, we had seen the prices on the menu and blown £18 on 4 bottles of beer. It was nice beer and the view is wonderful but flippin heck!
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:07 am

Can I refer my honorable friend to the WHAM newsfrom 19th March?

"Progress at Gigha continues despite the recent difficult weather. The new moorings are all in place and a functional landing area will be available for Easter. The main catwalk, jetty and pontoon will be complete in time for the opening on the weekend of 15-17 May. This will take the form of a blessing, ceremonial opening and barbecue on Sat 16th with live music in the hotel later. The event will mark completion of a significant addition to facilities at this important staging post for boaters going to and coming from the West Coast."

Derek

fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria 32

Postby fairy nuff » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:57 am

I was at Ardminish on Monday. Plenty of nice moorings, but the new jetty has only been half completed, with no decking, so unusable as yet. The pontoons seem to be grounded over in the ferry car park at Tayinloan. No sign of any work in progress at present, so maybe things have ground to a halt for this year. Anyone with local knowledge know any more?

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:45 am

We had a coffee stop at the boathouse last weekend (would have been lunch, but since they don't take cards and the cash machine at the local shop was out of action we moved along). Met an unimpressed chap from Cushendall who had spent the night alongside at the pontoon, to allow easy access to land for his 4 legged companion. Apparently the going rate for an alongside night is £30.... No lights on pontoon, no power, no toilets, no showers. Just somewhere to park your boat. He had been in touch to make his views known and I don't think he paid full rate. Over the weekend they had only seen one other boat use them, meanwhile the £15 a night moorings were full.

Either way, the pontoon is now in place, if somewhat unused.

solwaycruiser
Able Seaman

Postby solwaycruiser » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:03 am

Does anyone know if they have left much room to anchor? As I understand it they have increased the number of mooring significantly. Have a deeper draft so presume I can't go inside the moorings so hoping I don't have to be too far out near the reef.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 pm

The lovely Gigha of old is starting to sound like it might be turning into a distant memory

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”