New moorings and pontoon in Ardminish Bay, Gigha

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

New moorings and pontoon in Ardminish Bay, Gigha

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Over the coming Winter Gigha Heritage Trust is to install six new moorings including four for 'heavy boats' and renew all the existing moorings.

The existing jetty will be replaced by a pontoon with 2m minimum depth.

There will, they say, still be space for anchoring.
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Re: New moorings and pontoon in Ardminish Bay, Gigha

Postby Storyline » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:54 pm

Could be useful for taking on water. Same sort of story as Canna, good for islanders but i cannot help feeling it will change the atmosphere a bit. Saw the plans in the new cafe and it looked like they were keeping existing jetty and just extending it. Hopefully will be a sympathetic development.

Probably encourage more visitors from NI
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Will they also be getting rid of drunken, obnoxious, ungrateful farts who can't stay in their dinghy and " I don't need your help" ar5es?

:lol:

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:28 pm

wully wrote:Will they also be getting rid of drunken, obnoxious, ungrateful farts who can't stay in their dinghy and " I don't need your help" ar5es?

:lol:

Sounds like there's a story there - do tell?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 pm

marisca wrote:

BRIEF PRECIS HERE

- it will give you a rough idea of what transpired.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Nick wrote:
marisca wrote:

BRIEF PRECIS HERE

- it will give you a rough idea of what transpired.

Ah, it is the amnesia of old age. I even contributed to the counter-thread on TOP.

I once pulled a guy out of the water when there was snow on the pontoons. Nae thanks, but apparently I hurt his shoulder.

Tex
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Beneteau 36cc

Postby Tex » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Does any one know if these plans are going ahead and more importantly do they include upgrading the onshore facilities?

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Tex wrote:Does any one know if these plans are going ahead and more importantly do they include upgrading the onshore facilities?

Dunno, give me a few weeks and I'll report back.

Tex
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Beneteau 36cc

Postby Tex » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 pm

[url]I
Having visited this week I can report that nothing has changed. Big disappointment and again Welcome Achorages has incorrect information. When we will they stop publishing ideas rather than facts?

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 am

We have an incident recorded in the ships log from the 1970s from Ardminish. Co-owners daughter recorded in beautiful primary school handwriting how they rowed ashore to the jetty in the inflatable, tied it up and went for a walk to the gardens. On returning the dinghy had blown under the jetty and the tide had flooded (fortunately small rise in tides at Gigha), trapping the dinghy underneath. This quite long but articulate entry of 2 pages details how a "nice" French man cam and assisted in deflating the dinghy to get it out from underneath. But then the dilemma of how to get back to the boat where the pump is to re-inflate. Some other "nice man" came to help with that problem, rowing them out with a partly inflated dinghy in tow.

But I wonder about the more recent plans for 2m depth at a pontoon. Is there enough water for that or is dredging contemplated? Or a very long pontoon.

The general concept of having moorings owned by the community seems a missed opportunity by many islands. Yachts mooring overnight bring in money. If there's a shop, a tearooms, or more importantly a pub, then people will spend money. The mooring fees need to be reasonable, but that income will help service the moorings if not pay for it.
Tiree is an island that could learn this lesson - not such a great anchorage, bit exposed, but more people would go there for moorings. Its good to see other islands picking up the idea, and the income it generates.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 am

Also visited last week and there is certainly demand for more moorings. It was a Tuesday evening and having decided to anchor before we arrived there was no stress as to whether there would be any moorings free. Just as well as at 17:00 all the moorings were taken with a further half dozen boats at anchor. At nightfall there were more than a dozen at anchor.

Something must have happened with the funding. As regards the development I am ambivalent, it has got too busy now to be the Gigha we fell in love with many years ago but the addition of water on the extended jetty would be useful (if there is enough depth for us).
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:02 pm

I am responding from a half-remembered conversation so there is some vagueness and probably inaccuracy ...

The funding I believe is sound. There was a hiccup of some sort in getting all permissions by spring so, having finally gained all necessary permission, funds and contractor about May, it was decided to postpone the whole renewal operation so that there would be a full set of moorings through the busiest time, rather than reducing the number of moorings in July/August while carrying out the improvements. The work is going to happen later, barring accidents in plenty of time for next season.

Derek

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 am

Wrong as ever. Recent developments are described here. WHAM news

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:57 am

cpedw wrote:Wrong as ever. Recent developments are described here. WHAM news

o/t - good to hear they are hopefully going to move that mooring in Ardalanish as it really spoils the desolate beauty of the place. Does not interfere with one boat anchoring but it is nearly in the centre of the pool and would make it difficult for a second boat (there is a powerful rib on it so you could bump into it when swinging without damage but the ground tackle could cause concern).

Edit: just had a look on google earth and on reflection maybe there is still room for 2-3 boats

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Storyline wrote:
cpedw wrote:Wrong as ever. Recent developments are described here. WHAM news

o/t - good to hear they are hopefully going to move that mooring in Ardalanish as it really spoils the desolate beauty of the place. Does not interfere with one boat anchoring but it is nearly in the centre of the pool and would make it difficult for a second boat (there is a powerful rib on it so you could bump into it when swinging without damage but the ground tackle could cause concern).

Edit: just had a look on google earth and on reflection maybe there is still room for 2-3 boats

Last year I decided (wrongly I expect) that the mooring made it a bit tight to anchor there so I went into the next bay north, which was OK but more subject to swell. Be good if the mooring goes!

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”