Paying for moorings, Gigha and Canna

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Sun Odyssey 40.3

Paying for moorings, Gigha and Canna

Postby fairy nuff » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm

OK, my conscience is troubling me. On my journey north this summer I arrived late in Ardminish Bay and hooked on to one of the visitor moorings. With an early start planned, and the dinghy uninflated, I am afraid we left without paying the mooring fee. A similar situation arose a couple of weeks later in Canna. Try as I might I can find no advice on the internet about addresses for paying the fees by cheque.
Can anyone here advise whether there is a way that I can pay the fees by post? I know the moorings are not universally popular, especially in Canna, but having spent the best part of an hour last year trying to get the pick through the kelp there I was glad to use the buoy, and would like to support the community.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Paying for moorings, Gigha and Canna

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:49 pm

fairy nuff wrote:OK, my conscience is troubling me. On my journey north this summer I arrived late in Ardminish Bay and hooked on to one of the visitor moorings. With an early start planned, and the dinghy uninflated, I am afraid we left without paying the mooring fee. A similar situation arose a couple of weeks later in Canna. Try as I might I can find no advice on the internet about addresses for paying the fees by cheque.
Can anyone here advise whether there is a way that I can pay the fees by post? I know the moorings are not universally popular, especially in Canna, but having spent the best part of an hour last year trying to get the pick through the kelp there I was glad to use the buoy, and would like to support the community.

For Canna email theisleofcanna@gmail.com

For Gigha email admin@gigha.org.uk
- Nick 8)

fairy nuff
Able Seaman

Postby fairy nuff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Or you could just send me the cash and your conscience would be clear....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

fairy nuff
Able Seaman

Postby fairy nuff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:38 pm

claymore wrote:Or you could just send me the cash and your conscience would be clear....

That's great, just send me your bank sort code and account number. (I've got a Nigerian pal who needs to pay his as well).

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:11 am

Have you had an accident in the past 27 years or been sold a ppi?
I could help you but sadly Cannot extend my service to foreign nationals - or their friends.

Now - are you sending me the cash you owe, plus interest or do I have to go public?
I am sure the Gigha Observer and the Canna Thunderer would devote column yards to this story of capitalistic advantage taking by the friend of a nigerian. They would take a very black view of it I am certain.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

voyager35
Able Seaman
Boat Type: voyager 35

Postby voyager35 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 am

I visited Canna a few days ago and after anticipating a hassle anchoring in the kelp was delighted to find 10 visitor moorings. they were all occupied by mid afternoon but when I called into the pier shop late evening only five had been paid for and as few people were going ashore and most left early I assume they left without paying.
If you don't want to pay then anchor (i normally do rather than pay) but if you use moorings paid for by other people then pay up, I am sure the average yacht owner can afford £10 more than the average Canna resident

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 am

I am disappointed to read there are now moorings in Canna. I know the kelp is a PITA but I fear they may remove some of the 'remote' feeling the anchorage has. Could someone say where the moorings are and do they significantly reduce the amount of space to anchor ?

Thanks
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

fairy nuff
Able Seaman

Postby fairy nuff » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Storyline wrote:I am disappointed to read there are now moorings in Canna. I know the kelp is a PITA but I fear they may remove some of the 'remote' feeling the anchorage has. Could someone say where the moorings are and do they significantly reduce the amount of space to anchor ?

Thanks

from -
West Highland Anchorages and Moorings Association Website

"Canna

10 moorings have now been laid in Canna Harbour. They are situated round the perimeter of the inner bay leaving the centre free for anchoring. The charge will be £10/night. This should ensure a useful income for this small community."

There's still plenty of room for dredging kelp in the middle should you so desire.

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am

I was there on Thursday as were 21 other boats, ten on the visitor moorings and the rest anchored, so there's still plenty of room to anchor. The moorings are set in a circle around the bay, some are quite close to the shore. Watched one boat take six goes at setting this anchor, each time it was coming up with a nice ball of weed, he was using a Bruce. I'm sure he would have taken a mooring if one was available.
Disappointed at boats not paying, really annoys me when people use but don't pay for visitor moorings.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Storyline wrote:I am disappointed to read there are now moorings in Canna. I know the kelp is a PITA but I fear they may remove some of the 'remote' feeling the anchorage has. Could someone say where the moorings are and do they significantly reduce the amount of space to anchor ?

Thanks

The remote feeling is I'm afraid long gone. 20 years or so ago it was common to have the anchorage to oneself but as sam notes larger numbers are now common. I was there a little over a week ago and all the moorings were taken. In 1991 Canna was the scene of my only seriously embarassing anchor-dragging episode and I was very happy to take advantage of a visitor's mooring last week. The whole place has a much more vibrant (but still tranquil) feeling about it now, and if the moorings generate both footfall and a modest income that can be no bad thing for the local community.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Lots of places are becoming less remote these days, one night I was one of 17 boats in Rona, and there was still room for more to anchor. However you can still sail for days and barely see other boats, and at least you don't have to bother with who has right of way regs and other such nonsense :)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Green Boat wrote:The remote feeling is I'm afraid long gone. 20 years or so ago it was common to have the anchorage to oneself but as sam notes larger numbers are now common. I was there a little over a week ago and all the moorings were taken. In 1991 Canna was the scene of my only seriously embarassing anchor-dragging episode and I was very happy to take advantage of a visitor's mooring last week. The whole place has a much more vibrant (but still tranquil) feeling about it now, and if the moorings generate both footfall and a modest income that can be no bad thing for the local community.

I realise it is a bit selfish to expect to find and use a beautiful anchorage without thinking of the community that live there. Like you, I have been visiting Canna for the last 20 years or so and can remember some lovely times. We have also ridden out a few gales in there and although it can take several/many attempts to anchor it always feels snug once you know you are 'on'. I have an old video which I must get round to posting on Youtube of ourselves and a few other boats riding out a F9. The whole place was just a mass of spray and spume - quite dramatic. On reflection that was in 1991 so might have been the same unseasonable (those days) summer gale that you dragged in. Things move on and the island community needs to get as much income as it can but I am fortunate to at least have the memories.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”