Monster fish farm in Loch Etive.

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Monster fish farm in Loch Etive.

Postby cpedw » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 am

Though it's probably after the official last date for submissions, (heck, it's Argyll - deadlines are too morbid) it's still possible to submit your observations to Argyll & Bute Council via their planning website.

The application is for 14 cages, each 100m in diameter, in Sailean Ruadh, on the south shore of the loch just west of Airds Point in a delightful and very secure anchorage. According to the objectors the fish farm will make it unusable for anchoring.

Derek

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Monster fish farm in Loch Etive.

Postby Telo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for making us aware of this, Derek. Do you know if the RYA is on the case?

On the detail, the cages are actually 100m in circumference, not diameter, which makes quite a difference. Unfortunately Argyll and Bute Council's map is not much help as it just marks one point and fails to show the extent of the cages. However, the current (or as near damn it, current) charts show the existing fish farm to the south of the location marked on the Council's map, ie closer in towards the anchoring area.

We have used this anchorage (see Cruising on Loch Etive) and had no problem with access into the bay. If the new farm is as shown on the application, ie to the north of the existing facilities, I do not believe that it will impede access.

- Sailen Ruadh from the north

It would be reasonable to ask that provision be made for continued access to the bay for anchoring.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm

The strange thing is that the planned area of the fishy farm (within one of the links) looks very similar to the limits of the fish farm currently marked on the chart. I would illustrate with pictures, but I can't seem to get my pictures to load into Photobucket any more.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:46 pm

The chartlet shown at http://www.lochetive.org/ResponseDocument.pdf is bit worrying. I have sent the following to Argyll and Bute Council;

"I am not a resident, but a regular visitor to Argyll and appreciate the county for its scenery and outdoor activities. I keep a sailing yacht in the county and, in a small way, directly contribute to the local economy and employment though payments for goods and services.

"In respect of the planning application, I am not opposed to the application in principle, but am concerned that the size of this development would be detrimental to amenities. I note that the map on the Council website shows the new farm to be situated to the north of the existing facility. However, the potential impact of the proposal is unclear as the map only shows a central mark and not the full extent of the area covered by the proposed tanks and their associated lines and moorings.

"Would it be possible, please, to update the map showing the full extent of the proposed cages with their associated lines and moorings?

"Secondly in considering the application, may I request that the Council seeks to insist that vessels have continued and unimpeded access to the anchorage? Argyll is to be commended for seeking to enhance and diversify its wonderful recreational opportunities and it would be harmful to the image of the county if the application resulted in the loss of another traditional anchorage area.

"As it happens, I have anchored in Sailean Ruadh and wrote about it at http://bluemoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4939 where I recommended it as "a well sheltered north facing anchorage". I trust that it will remain so."

I have mailed the RYA about the issue.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Shard wrote:Do you know if the RYA is on the case?

According to today's Oban Times, RYAS and WHAM have said it would be a hazard to navigation.
Derek

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks again Derek. I must admit, I was taken in initially by the pin-point location on the Council's website map. The objection at http://www.lochetive.org/ResponseDocument.pdf is very illuminating and I should have read it first. I have also heard that the CCC has objected on the grounds of restricted navigation access to the anchorage.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Apart from achieving the anchorage, there is also the question of quality of life after arrival. I can attest to very unpleasant aromas down-wind of the cages and particularly the workboats/equipment in Kingscross, Arran. I would assume the same would be prevalent in the vicinity of any fishfarm. ( I got bored reading the complete report and don't know if this aspect was covered)
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Just a quick update to pass on that RYAScotland has also objected, along with WHAM and CCC.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:11 pm

It seems that the original application has been withdrawn and a revised one, 13/01379/MFF, submitted (http://publicaccess.argyll-bute.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MOWL9FCH0FM00).

I have responded;

At the risk of being repetitive, my observations are similar to those made in respect of the earlier application, now withdrawn.

I am not a resident, but a regular visitor to Argyll and appreciate the county for its scenery and outdoor activities. I keep a sailing yacht in the county and, in a small way, directly contribute to the local economy and employment though payments for goods and services.

In respect of the planning application, I am not opposed to the application in principle, but am concerned that the size of this development would be detrimental to amenities.

I note that the map on the Council website shows the new farm to be straddling the entrance to Sailean Ruadh. Once again, as with the previous application, the potential impact of the proposal is unclear as the map only shows the outline of the fish farm area, without showing the positions of the ten 80m circumference cages or the feed barge and the associated lines and moorings.

Would it be possible, please, to ask the applicants to update the map showing the full extent of the proposed ten 80m circumference cages and the feed barge, along with their associated lines and moorings?

Secondly, in considering the application, may I request that the Council insist that vessels have continued and unimpeded access to the anchorage? As matters presently stand, the map outline gives every impression that the facility will block navigation access to Sailean Ruadh.

Argyll is to be commended for seeking to enhance and diversify its wonderful recreational opportunities and it would be harmful to the image of the county if the application resulted in the loss of another traditional anchorage area.

I have anchored in Sailean Ruadh and have written about it at http://bluemoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4939 where I recommended it as "a well sheltered north facing anchorage". I trust that it will remain so.

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:08 pm

It's worth remembering what constitutes a representation that will be considered by the council in the planning process, and not just be disregarded as not being a material issue. Their own guidance on this can be found here: http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/node/41267#comments

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”