Whereizzit?

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Whereizzit?

Postby mm5aho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Whereizzit?

Postby Silkie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 pm

It's a bit hard to tell since it seems to have fallen over but might it be Colonsay?
different colours made of tears

Pilgrim
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Rival 36

Postby Pilgrim » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 pm

That's a second vote for Colonsay pier.
Liz

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:09 am

Correct, Scalasaig Pier, Colonsay.

Here's an easier view...

Geoff.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 am

Did you find a way into the boxes where the water taps are imprisoned?

Derek

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

mm5aho wrote:Correct, Scalasaig Pier, Colonsay.

About which the first A4 CCC book said "A boarded section to which a small charge may be levied". To this day I have no idea what that was supposed to mean. That small boats could use it? That a small charge might be made?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 pm

In the picture signs can be seeen (but not read), that in far too many words, say pay at harbourmasters office or at honesty box. Up to 10m length = £12.
As a ferry was due within an hour, the office was open, and so I went to pay. (I believe that something is required to maintain facilities). It seemed to be with some surprise that the man who appeared to be in charge accepted my offer that he "relieve me of some money". He could not find the receipt book at first, then when found seemed surprised it was all used up, and didn't know where to find another. I said I don't want a receipt, but he told me that this entitled me to use any of Caledonian Marine Assets properties for the next four days. (I had in mind to use RoRo berth Number 1 at Oban, just so that I could call out on Ch16 that I was soon to be "entering by the north channel, and proceeding to Berth No 1, and that further information could be otained on Ch16". But as we would not be back there within four days, that plan failed. But I digress... I suspect that not many pay for the use of this.
It's not much of an berth. Being fixed, huge tides have to be accounted for in tying up, and there seems to be a swell no matter wind direction of strength".

So the charge wasn't levied to the boarded section, rather to the operators of the boats tied thereto, and not much smaller than any other berth, pontoon or mooring. But there's little choice when beyond a single boat in port. There's only room for about 1 to anchor.
Geoff.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 pm

mm5aho wrote:There's only room for about 1 to anchor.

Having been there and done it (when one boat with no-one aboard and no fenders deployed occupied the entire wavescreen) I can confirm that it is possible for more than one boat to anchor.

PM sent.
different colours made of tears

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 am

mm5aho wrote:So the charge wasn't levied to the boarded section, rather to the operators of the boats tied thereto, and not much smaller than any other berth, pontoon or mooring. But there's little choice when beyond a single boat in port. There's only room for about 1 to anchor.

Thanks. As I recall - it's 25 years ago, now - we tried one night at the pier, hated it, and anchored instead.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Postby Allegro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:23 pm

We've anchored off the pier, which was ok, but not masses of space as has been said. A friend of mine, who writes the scottishanchorages website, recommends the next bay south, Staosnaig, as a much better experience. I plan to give it a go next time we visit: http://www.scottishanchorages.co.uk/#/s ... 4533166601

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm sure that this is the same place.

In 2008, we cruised Islay, Jura, Colonsay, and Mull using the car and Cal Mac!

I spoke to the crew of the Sadler 29 Sunshine. IIRC, the skipper was sailing clockwise round Britain, with different crew for some legs.

I took some photos from the ferry as the Sadler left Colonsay in fairly heavy weather.

I met the crew again in Oban, and arranged to send on the photos.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm

ash wrote:I'Image

Nice pic Ash. As you can see from the swell, Scalasaig can be uncomfortable in anything with an E in it. Time to head for Loch Tarbert....

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Shard wrote: As you can see from the swell, Scalasaig can be uncomfortable in anything with an E in it. Time to head for Loch Tarbert....

This was one of the photos that I took from the ferry later that day - maximum optical zoom, then cropped.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Allegro wrote:We've anchored off the pier, which was ok, but not masses of space as has been said. A friend of mine, who writes the scottishanchorages website, recommends the next bay south, Staosnaig, as a much better experience. I plan to give it a go next time we visit: http://www.scottishanchorages.co.uk/#/s ... 4533166601

Cheers
Patrick

I would agree with that. Tying up to the pier when single handed is a great source of entertainment for the tourists. I've also acquired a collection of bent stanchions courtesy of the Scalasaig wave screen. On the one occasion I anchored off I damaged the bottom of the rudder on a rock. And there's always swell.

I anchored in Loch Staosnaig for the first time a fortnight ago and was impressed. No swell and room for quite a few boats. Although I didn't go ashore, from the map it looked like the walk to the pub would only take about 5 minutes more than from the pier.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:22 pm

DaveS wrote:I anchored in Loch Staosnaig for the first time a fortnight ago and was impressed. No swell and room for quite a few boats. Although I didn't go ashore, from the map it looked like the walk to the pub would only take about 5 minutes more than from the pier.

I can confirm that it's not a difficult trip to the pub but, while definitely better than anchoring in Scalasaig, Staosnaig can get uncomfortable if the wind picks up (not much) from southeast. At 4 in the morning it can be an unpleasant surprise.

Derek

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”