COUNCIL DECIDES NOT TO PROCEED WITH OBAN MARINA PLANS

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: COUNCIL DECIDES NOT TO PROCEED WITH OBAN MARINA PLANS

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm

barnabus wrote:I was up in Oban last weekend and talked to quite a few locals in a local hostelry, there doesnt appear to be any support for the plan amongst the locals (other than the ones who have an interest in it). Its perceived as being somewhat of a white elephant and the consensus was that people were glad that the council had not invested public money in it. It seems its thought of as a scheme to get people into one or two restaurants surrounding the bay and nothing more.
I did a bit of surfing when I got home and there seems to be a lot of concerns being brought up at the ForArgyll website presumably by locals

Yes well, you are bound to get the full picture by talking to a few people in a pub.
- Nick 8)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Nick wrote:[...then... did a bit of surfing when I got home and there seems to be a lot of concerns being brought up at the ForArgyll website presumably by locals

Yes well, you are bound to get the full picture by talking to a few people in a pub.[/quote]

Another perfectly valid view, backed up by research - after touching smelling, sharing comestibles with, local people who have an opinion.
Has more value for me than sitting with a keyboard over your genitals and assuming what you're reading is sourced from somebody who has done the same.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:03 am

I think you have to be careful who you are touching and smelling in these places Bill.
- Nick 8)

barnabus
Midshipman
Boat Type: Jouet 920

Postby barnabus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 am

Yes well, you are bound to get the full picture by talking to a few people in a pub.

Im sorry if the people I talked to dont hold your views, through the media it would appear it wasnt just a chance encounter I had with the anti marina fraternity. From what I gather the local council would not put any money into the project as its not financially viable is this not so ?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Hi Barnabus

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 am

A variety of views have been expressed in the media and elsewhere. The council withdrew promised funding but a lot of questions have been asked about the way the consultation process was carried out. It seems the consultants selected by the Council (AECOM) have no knowledge of this type of project, spent very little time with the project management and did not actually talk to anyone with any experience of West Coast marina operation, such as the chairman of the very successful Tobermory Harbour Authority.

I have never seen the Oban Times express such anti-Council opinion - muted though it was - as it did over this issue, so I am not sure what media you are referring to. There is a small vehemently anti-marina mob about ten strong that has repeatedly attempted to represent themselves as the voice of the common man in Oban through fringe media such as the now defunct Oban Times forum and the news website 'For Argyll'. It is worth noting that most of these people snipe from the cover of anonymity, while the proponents of the scheme have all stood up to be counted.

A lot of the anti-marina feeling that has been expressed in public by this vociferous minority stems from an antipathy towards some of the leading lights in Oban Bay Marine, who are seen as pushing this project in order to bring more revenue into their own businesses (restaurants for example). While it is not inconceivable that there is an element of truth in this it reflects a pettiness aand self interest that seems to be at the heart of most local politics in Argyll.

I find it unlikely that anyone from outwith the area can drop into Oban, speak to a few people in a pub and immediately have their finger on the local pulse. There is a lot more history and intrigue involved here than can possibly be plumbed by the casual stranger.

This is a sailing forum. What type of boat do you have Barnabus,and where do you usually sail? Are you anti-marinas generally or just anti this one? I find it odd that a new poster should pick this particular issue and dive straight in with no introduction, but I am sure you have your reasons.
- Nick 8)

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 am

My understanding is that CHORD (Campbeltown, Helensburgh, Oban, Rothesay & Dunoon) are beneficiaries of a grant for projects to develop the shoreside/foreshore of the towns. Oban has the potential to get £900k
The council has spent (alledgedy) £60k on a consultants report into the costs of developing the transit marina (visitors only, no permanent berths). Despite spending this money, the consultants didn't discuss the project with Tobermory who have a successful working transit marina or ask who else would support the capital costs (Crown estate, Visit Scotland etc). As meeting minutes are missing, there is speculation that the council have pre judged an outcome and given the consultants the brief to produce a report that kills off the initative because they want to do something else.
The consultants may be right, i.e. that the marina will cost a lot more than is currently being forecast, and that the on going maintenance, dredging, security etc. will become a drain on council resources and that the ony beneficiaries will be a small sector of local businesses or folks with a passion for leisure boating.
Their counter point is that if this is such a financially viable project, why don't these businesses seek funding and develop the marina themselves....
As a regular visitor to Oban, I see it as a sad, dilapidating town with a shore front that is a disgrace. Local jobs and people need need support (fishing, ferry services, businesses that supply to the islands, farming etc) and tourism incuding sailing, kayaking, diving, sea angling, boat trips for the day trippers, seal watching etc can play a part, but not if they are at loggerheads with each other. There is a sever lack of car parking which makes day-activity watersports difficult and if you vist from the sea, it is Kerrera, a visitors mooring at the sailing club, anchor .......or somewhere else.
What is sad about this whole debacle is that there appear to be pre-judged positions & opinions, lack of objective reasoning, and no one with a vision or strategy that will move oban forward.
My gripe with the whole issue is not the yes/no to the marina, but the lack of an alternative and no integration of all the needs into a functional foreshore for the 21st century.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 am

Gardenshed wrote:What is sad about this whole debacle is that there appear to be pre-judged positions & opinions, lack of objective reasoning, and no one with a vision or strategy that will move oban forward.
My gripe with the whole issue is not the yes/no to the marina, but the lack of an alternative and no integration of all the needs into a functional foreshore for the 21st century.

The disjointed scruffiness that is the Oban waterfront is only matched by the concrete wasteland that is Fort William's outlook on the water. In Oban the council and would-be developers have been squabbling intermittently for more than thirty years over the future of the area, so I am afraid we aren't likely to see any change of heart from our publicly elected officials in the near future.

Oban Bay Marine have full planning permission for the development however, and are going to continue to seek private funding for the project, so it is not dead in the water yet. Personally I think they should be more ambitious and go for a permanent breakwater-protected facility North of the N. Pier.

In the meantime the £900,000 of CHORD funding that had been allocated to the marina project must be spent quickly, and no-one has a clue what to spend it on. A big shed to join the CalMac terminal and the railway station seems to be favourite, although there is a faction that wants to fill in the bay between the two piers to create a car park. (Fans of the Fort Bill look presumably).
- Nick 8)

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 am

or a by-pass so that the town can fester in peace....

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 am

But that's not what is needed. If a by-pass was a requirement then the road from Oban to Lochgilphead would be as busy as the road from Connel into Oban, since the traffic would be in transit. I've driven both often enough to know that isn't the case, and therefore the slightly obvious conclusion is that no matter how awful the town centre is, people are still going there to visit the place, or head onwards via ferry to destinations further afield. Rather than build a by-pass, just invest in the town centre traffic management. Was speaking to someone with an interest in that area last night, who pointed out that a sizeable park and ride facility on the road in from the north would allow people to ditch the cars outside the town and remove quite a chunk of congestion from the town without adversely impacting the visitor numbers, or slapping giant parking facilities in the centre - Fort Bill syndrome.

barnabus
Midshipman
Boat Type: Jouet 920

Postby barnabus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Having browsed the OBM website I see Nick is a member of OBM so perhaps he can tell us a bit more.
I had a look at the plans and for the life of me cannot see any car parking for the marina also there are no toilet/laundry facilities, will there be disabled access ?
Dont get me wrong if Oban is to have a marina (although I cant see why as I have been told there are more berths planned over at Kerrera) it should go on the other side on the North Pier and not be the cheap fix effort that is currently proposed

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I joined OBM for the princely sum of £1 so I would get updates, minutes etc. by email, but I have never attended a meeting and can hardly claim to be an active member . . .

Car parking is a red herring - the existing proposal is for a transit marina, maximum stay 3 days, no permanent bertholders, so the only people arriving will be arriving by boat. Toilet facilities are available in the Calmac building and at the North Pier. Calmac share their facilities with sailors in several locations on the West Coast, so there is plenty of precedent. If the existing facilities can't stand a few more visitors then they are inadequate and the council should make further provision. The new Tigh Solais facilities at Tobermory are open to all, not just for the pontoons, and bring in revenue in addition to providing a much needed public facility.

(For some reason the antis are obsessed with the toilet habits of yachtsmen. Let me take this opportunity to reassure them that we have the same number of a***holes among us as any other cross-section of the population).

The reason for a transit marina in Oban is to bring money directly into the town centre with a walk-ashore facility. A high percentage of people occupying visitors berths over on Kerrera will not leave the island, whereas any yacht coming into the proposed facility at Oban would be pretty much guaranteed to send crew ashore with money in their pockets to spend with local businesses.

Anyway, nothing new in what I have said here - it has all been said before. You can read OBM's letter to the Oban Times HERE where the points above are elaborated. Rational decision making is not necessarily playing a major part in the decision mnaking process though, and the factions ranged against each other are undoubtedly motivated by more than logic and sweet reason.

And yes, many people, myself included, have said that a permanent facility North of the North Pier is a better idea - but if local business and the council between them can't raise sweetie money for a wee transit marina then what hope is there? It is my understanding that the plans for the transit marina are fully approved, so there is nothing to stop the OBM proposal going ahead if they can find the funding.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm

More tea, Vicar?

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”