Restart Scottish Sailing Consultation

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
Burst Boiler
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria

Re: Restart Scottish Sailing Consultation

Postby Burst Boiler » Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 pm

marisca wrote:"Golf, canoeing, hiking, outdoor swimming, angling" all within 5 miles of home!!!!!! Who, the hell, are the demographic they're aiming at? Hiking is defined as "the activity of going for long walks, especially across country" - needs to be modified to include going round in circles!
Maybe today there will be a clarification.

You obviously missed yesterday's "question" about crocquet then? Not sure what proportion of that MSPs constituency he felt he was representing.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm

Sense and clarity from Nicola - it looks good for next Thursday. Commonsense is what she wants and most sailors up here have it.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

marisca wrote:Sense and clarity from Nicola - it looks good for next Thursday. Commonsense is what she wants and most sailors up here have it.

Marsica, "what was the sense and clarity from Nicola"? I have been busy planning remote inspections today and missed anything new.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri May 22, 2020 3:57 pm

I can't remember the exact words but the message I took, probably because it was what I wanted it to be, was that travel was allowed but congregating at beauty spots was not. She was advocating common sense with stay at home as the default, social distancing if not. I naturally took the message that driving from Edinburgh to Greenock to play boats was acceptable provided I kept to myself and luckily my wife agrees.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun May 24, 2020 12:45 pm

RYA Scotland's current position appears to be that they support sailing starting when Phase 1 is implemented, currently forecast from the 28th May, but subject to review of the details around the Road Map.

https://www.rya.org.uk/scotland/news-ev ... ement.aspx
BlowingOldBoots

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon May 25, 2020 9:16 pm

marisca wrote:I can't remember the exact words but the message I took, probably because it was what I wanted it to be, was that travel was allowed but congregating at beauty spots was not. She was advocating common sense with stay at home as the default, social distancing if not. I naturally took the message that driving from Edinburgh to Greenock to play boats was acceptable provided I kept to myself and luckily my wife agrees.

It all sounds fine to me so long as you stay away from Barnard Castle.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 am

claymore wrote:It all sounds fine to me so long as you stay away from Barnard Castle.....

The obvious way to check if your eyesight is good enough to drive safely is to drive 60 miles on public roads. I'm relieved he chose English roads for the investigation.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue May 26, 2020 11:20 am

Communication from BMF to Scottish marine industry members currently interprets restrictions on movement in Phase 1 to less than 5 miles, belives that greater distance will not be available until Stage 3, but supports launching of boats: -

“British Marine and British Marine Scotland are pleased to welcome the release of the Scottish Government’s route map to easing the coronavirus lock down restrictions.
This route map provides a plan for gradual opening up of the lock down measures, through 4 phases following the lockdown stage.
Progress will depend on the continued reduction in the rate of infection and subject to this, the decision to progress from lockdown to easing of some measures will be made by the Scottish Government next Thursday, 28th May.
Review of progress will continue on a 3 weekly basis.
The route map sets out the steps to be taken but does not follow exact timescales. Progress will be gradual and incremental and in response to control of the virus.
Remote and flexible working will remain the default position where possible for the first 3 phases but Phase 1 will see the resumption of non-essential outdoor workplaces.
While not specifically mentioned in the guidance, British Marine interprets this to release the marine sector to restart outdoor operations in boatyards and marinas and of course, launching of boats.
This is subject to the relevant new guidance on health and safety, social distancing and COVID 19 measures.
Non-essential indoor non-office-based workplaces may resume in phase 2 (factories, warehouses etc) and phase 3 will see the reopening of non-essential indoor office workplaces, again subject to relevant guidance on safe working procedures.
This means marina offices, receptions etc will not be able to re-open for some time and other measures will be required for customer liaison.
It is important to note restrictions on travel will remain in place;
In Phase 1, people will be permitted to travel short distances for outdoor exercise but are advised to stay within approx. 5 miles of their local communities.
Phase 1 provides for unrestricted outdoor exercise (adhering to distancing measures) and non-contact outdoor activities in local areas.
Assuming all forms of recreational boating are included in this, customers may return but will be limited by travel restrictions until phase 3.
As the government does not permit people to leave their homes to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose, this suggests that staying overnight on a boat must not happen.
TYHA has provided guidance for marinas which is being updated regularly to reflect changing circumstances and British Marine is working with groups within the industry to prepare guidance for specific sectors.
The TYHA and British Marine guidance relates to the situation in England and the devolved administrations have differing responses to the coronavirus pandemic but much of the information in relation to safe working procedures is relevant across the UK. Please do check against information relevant to Scotland.”
BlowingOldBoots

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu May 28, 2020 2:14 pm

Nicola says go!

Cast off your bow line, cast of your stern line ............................ is there anything better in the world!

BlowingOldBoots

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 pm

So long as you live within 5 miles of the boat
Mid July for us at the earliest
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 pm

claymore wrote:So long as you live within 5 miles of the boat

I’ll send you a foatie of Claymore as we sail past ramorra... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu May 28, 2020 7:25 pm

just you wait 'til playtime :twisted:
Regards
Claymore

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu May 28, 2020 9:58 pm

wully wrote:
claymore wrote:So long as you live within 5 miles of the boat

I’ll send you a foatie of Claymore as we sail past ramorra... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Can you sail past Seminole and send us a pic too? :D
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am

I am on Silvers launch list, so waiting on a date and time.
Kip marina have said I can sail in any time, just let them know and I can stay until I can sail up to Craobh.
Kip and Craobh have emailed out lurgy avoidance tips and controls being applied and to follow.
Gareloch QHM has confirmed the harbour is open to all leisure boats.

The Clyde is about a 5 minute cycle from my front door so I may float down to Rosneath, but will have to be careful at the Falls of Clyde. Once I collect boat, berth up at Kip and get the train to see my Mum, I think I can be seen to comply with the spirit of the guidelines, unlike the Asparagus Goose. (-;
BlowingOldBoots

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 pm

You will no doubt be pleased to learn that we had a most excellent sail in warm SE breezes - wearing shorts, tee shirts and big stupid smiles.

Slightly sunburned though.

Not another sailie boatie in sight, just one wee creel boat and some fish farm stuff. Another boat did leave Craobh about an hour ago.

Home now and gently rehydrating in the approved manner 8)

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”