Restart Scottish Sailing Consultation

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Restart Scottish Sailing Consultation

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu May 07, 2020 3:53 pm

https://www.ideas.gov.scot/covid-19-a-f ... 2827516388

The above link takes you to a page where you can comment on restarting sailing in Scotland. I have made a contribution, as have others from here, I noticed. You can also state why you think it should not be restarted.

Also see https://restartsailing.org/news

All the best,

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Restart Scottish Sailing Consultation

Postby claymore » Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 pm

I am firmly with the Poster who suggested just getting on with the Lockdown and protecting the NHS. If I don't get on the boat this year so be it - hopefully I will live to sail again next year.
I cannot think of a more selfish way of behaving than to drive up from where we live -(Nr Fleetwood) just so that I can have a bit of pleasure, sailing the boat. What if I stop for a pee at Southwaite and pick up the virus ? What if I'm carrying the virus and it bursts out whilst I'm in Ardfern and I've just been in the facilities, I've just collected the keys, I handled the guardrail on the way to the pontoon and somehow - I have infected someone. Unwittingly and unknowingly they infect someone else and before long I am the plague starter?
No thanks. I'll sit this one out.
And so should all the other stupid, selfish, short sighted sods who have supported the idea of getting sailing again on that stupid fekking website.

Its an old dog for a long race.

Apologies Alastair if I have differed from your stance but I really do feel very strongly indeed that we are so close to a 2nd coming of this love child virus and it really pisses me off when the self righteous pricks who have commented about how they are self sufficient and can take their own sandwiches and not bother anyone, forget that we are putting people at risk everytime we break the rules and more importantly the spirit of lockdown.
Rant over
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 pm

No apologies needed and of course your position is a valid one, possibly more so. My view is that your position is equally worthwhile posting on the government site.
For what it is worth, I expect the government to do what is best for its citizens with the virus. I am completely happy with decision made today by the First Minister. When the time is right, and it is not right at the moment as far as a blanket decision is concerned.
BlowingOldBoots

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Thu May 07, 2020 7:51 pm

claymore wrote:I am firmly with the Poster who suggested just getting on with the Lockdown and protecting the NHS. If I don't get on the boat this year so be it - hopefully I will live to sail again next year.
I cannot think of a more selfish way of behaving than to drive up from where we live -(Nr Fleetwood) just so that I can have a bit of pleasure, sailing the boat. What if I stop for a pee at Southwaite and pick up the virus ? What if I'm carrying the virus and it bursts out whilst I'm in Ardfern and I've just been in the facilities, I've just collected the keys, I handled the guardrail on the way to the pontoon and somehow - I have infected someone. Unwittingly and unknowingly they infect someone else and before long I am the plague starter?
And so should all the other stupid, selfish, short sighted sods who have supported the idea of getting sailing again on that stupid fekking website.

Its an old dog for a long race.

Apologies Alastair if I have differed from your stance but I really do feel very strongly indeed that we are so close to a 2nd coming of this love child virus and it really pisses me off when the self righteous pricks who have commented about how they are self sufficient and can take their own sandwiches and not bother anyone, forget that we are putting people at risk everytime we break the rules and more importantly the spirit of lockdown.
Rant over

John

I'm in total agreement. I was a bit scunnered on hearing this afternoon's news that the shutdown, certainly North of the border, will continue for another three weeks.

I won't contribute to the website as I don't believe I want to give it oxygen.

All I want to do this year, whenever that is, is to see and hug the grandchildren. Sailing at the end of the day is a hobby and at best a sport. I know where my interests lie.

Keep well.

Donald

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 pm

Had a quick look at both links. Both seem to be driven by a business with sailing interests ( sailingchallenge.org) under a banner of #Restartsailing

I'm not convinced that this is launched with the guy who potters in a 26' boat somehow. This is aimed at the bigger fish, racers and commercial interests. Won't get my vote. I'm thinking that I don't want to get this virus. I've been told that it's a particularly horrid way to die and that there are still too many deaths.

In Scotland R is too close to 1. What would happen if sailing was allowed in one area of the UK? Too many factors.

Sailing isn't a large earner in the economy. There are many, many more important things that need opened up.

Donald

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Aja wrote:Had a quick look at both links. Both seem to be driven by a business with sailing interests ( sailingchallenge.org) under a banner of #Restartsailing

I'm not convinced that this is launched with the guy who potters in a 26' boat somehow. This is aimed at the bigger fish, racers and commercial interests. Won't get my vote. I'm thinking that I don't want to get this virus. I've been told that it's a particularly horrid way to die and that there are still too many deaths.

In Scotland R is too close to 1. What would happen if sailing was allowed in one area of the UK? Too many factors.

Sailing isn't a large earner in the economy. There are many, many more important things that need opened up.

Donald

Donald,

A Scottish Marine Recreation and Tourism Survey in 2016 found that the value to the Scottish economy of marine leisure pursuits was £1.3 billion, so sailing, is a factor in a very lucrative income stream. The economics of water based sport is currently only of minor importance.

I think the tone being expressed by yourself and Claymore suggests that there is a demand to start sailing right now, today. From some people that could be the case but I don't see it that way. I think we are approaching the end of the first phase of managing this pandemic in the UK. As we move forward, decisions will be made on what activities can restart. The Scottish Government has asked for consultations and someone thought it a good idea to start a topic on sailing within the consultation mechanism. While public opinion is very likely to be a far second behind the scientific position, I therefore don’t see any risk of the Scottish Government basing their decisions on relaxing the current lock down strategy based on the opinions. I do see value in public opinion for a point in the future. However, no doubt sailing interests will be represented by the BMF and RYA Scotland.

More than a few of us, because of shielding / isolation will have to make decisions when the current rules are relaxed. In my case I am an asthmatic and noted in the Scottish Government’s shielding program. While I would like to get my boat launched and onwards to Craobh, when the rules are relaxed, I may decide to wait if the flood gates are opened to see if there is a second virus blip (considered to be highly probable).

Personally I don’t think the UKs strategy is that different from other EU countries, except delayed implementation. These countries, in some cases, are allowing sailing. I also don’t believe that there is a significant drift by the population from the current rules. I do believe we should be preparing for a staged return to pre virus days, the start of which is not likely to be too far into the future. I would like to think when the next stage happens, relaxation of the rules, sailing will be included, bounded by new rules that allow relaxation risks to be controlled; it is not likely to be a one stage fits all e.g. driving limits, shielding, age limitations etc.

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Wully has threatened to turn me inside oot if he catches me sniffin around Ardfern. Knowing him, I guess he will turn me upside down as well, just to check my pockets....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri May 08, 2020 3:55 pm

I am torn. On one side I reckon I can reduce my virus risk to near zero while going to and out single-handed sailing, always provided my understanding of the virus behaviour is correct, and be of no risk to anyone. On the other hand I am inclined towards Claymore's stance that if we all do what Nicola says until it is deemed safe enough (though he didn't frame it that way) then that is the way to get out of this. Watching others do as they wish, and I admit to my own minor shortcomings twice in the last 7 weeks, raises the level of temptation to join them or to clype on them. I am trying to do neither but I find it mentally hard. It would be so much easier if everyone just stuck to the letter and spirit of lock-down.

I shall not be supporting Restart Sailing, opening golf courses, driving up to 50 miles for a country stroll, open sea swimming, nor any of the other "I'll be alright" ideas that have been published on the government ideas page. The idea that I could be responsible in any way for someone (or me!) catching this plague is an anathema.

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Fri May 08, 2020 4:16 pm

I live in the most socially deprived area in Scotland. I can't reconcile swanning about pursuing my pretty exclusive hobby while less fortunate in my community struggle to get outside their front door to exercise.

Donald

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria

Postby Burst Boiler » Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 am

Aja wrote:
claymore wrote:

I won't contribute to the website as I don't believe I want to give it oxygen.

Frustrating that the stupid, selfish sods on TOP have found out and are giving it oxygen there. Including one not living in Scotland and with no boat in Scotland, trying to find out how to "vote". Massive contrast in attitude on there compared with the thoughtful posts on here.

skua164
Midshipman
Boat Type: Rustler 24

Postby skua164 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Aja wrote:I live in the most socially deprived area in Scotland. I can't reconcile swanning about pursuing my pretty exclusive hobby while less fortunate in my community struggle to get outside their front door to exercise.

Donald

I agree with this and also claymore's remarks.

Had the lockdown been announced a couple of days later I would be on my Mooring now. Probably the only one or two. I can esily get out to the Boat without walking, driving or coming into contact with anyone on Land and my Sailing is mainly single handed.

Although It's been disappointing to say the least given the cracking April Weather would I be comfortable being the only Boat on the Loch with the Travel restrictions for everyone else in place? frankly no.

When other people can also enjoy their chosen outdoor Sport or Hobby, fair enough but until them I will enjoy the peace and quiet as an alternative.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat May 09, 2020 6:29 pm

I can stroll across the Craobhie car park to my boat. She is ready for sea - once I bend on the sails.

I’m having to pay marina fees when a perfectly good mooring lies empty over the hill in Ardfern. I could nip round in a couple of hours and save myself enough money to keep Claymore in whusky for an hour or so. (Maybe)

But I won’t take the boat out until it is both socially , morally and ‘allowed’ to do so as I do believe we need to nail this virus down.

It is the height of selfish irresponsibility to want to go play with your toys at this time. Some of the arguments to justify going sailing are pathetic as well as ignorant.

Things will change soon enough.

Burst Boiler
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Bavaria

Postby Burst Boiler » Sun May 10, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm amazed TOP didn't crash the second Bee-Jay mentioned watersports. I'll be staying at home, even if some country needs more lerts. Always reminds me that wales us a principality, led by a prince. Scotland is a kingdom, led by a king. England is a country, . . .

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 pm

I would like to be able to check the boat (its an hours drive away) and do some of the pre-launch work required, so I couldn't sail till that is done. I don't think a touch of lobbying by the site listed is detrimental. The politicians are limited by R, the numbers of new cases and the lack of a Test,Trace and Isolate setup. As someone who is sure they have had it, I would like that confirmed by a test, then I would have some assurance that I am not going to carry or pass it. Looking at the figures, and comparing with say France, it's a few weeks away till things will slacken off in Scotland, but I would like the folk in charge to let us out as soon as the golfers, caravaners or mountaineers are back about their pursuits. So I don't think waving a flag to say "remember us" is a bad thing.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon May 11, 2020 9:54 am

Currently the situation in Scotland is unchanged. RYA have issued a note regarding the UK and will consult with RYA Scotland.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/ ... 0S87-_nsko

Regarding the older and shielded citizens, as far as I can tell, there is no change to any of the UK areas, isolation is still recommended.

The dyke is creaking and leaks will probably start sprouting everywhere. I heard yesterday on BBC Radio Scotland that Germany’s rate of infection is increasing again (caution, it was one brief sentence and I can’t recall details).

Hopefully Scotland’s continued stay at home will produce an R number, including uncertainty, well below 1, soon.
BlowingOldBoots

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”