Oban Bay harbour authority

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Oban Bay harbour authority

Postby cpedw » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 pm

CMAL (the corporation that owns CalMac) is looking to establish a harbour authority in Oban Bay. This is because of the heavy traffic in the bay. But many think that having CalMac running things is a bad idea; they want to keep the ferries running but aren't worried about any other users. They are conducting a consultation here https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/T9RLPPL

WHAM's preferred solution is a trust port. That would allow evenhanded allocation of space and resources among the many users. I urge you to submit your views, even if you don't like my ideas, if you are concerned about what happens in Oban.

Derek

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Oban Bay harbour authority

Postby marisca » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 am

Oh dear! Survey filled in but as always I wonder why advice was not taken from an expert on the questions. I await Ken's take on it all.
I'm waiting for the CMAL Harbour Authority plan that includes all the area bounded by MoK, Islay, Barra Head, Butt of Lewis and Cape Wrath.

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm

The RYA speaks:
The link below is to an important survey by Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL) regarding management of Oban Bay. CMAL, one of the partners of the Oban Bay Management Group, are proposing a Harbour Revision Order which would give them control over the whole of Oban Bay and its approaches. This has implications for all users of the Bay.

RYA Scotland feels the questionnaire has limitations and contains leading questions but it is really important that as many individuals as possible fill in the responses to ensure the boating community is represented.

The questionnaire can be accessed by clicking on this link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/T9RLPPL or by going to the Oban Harbour website and accessing the link from the Oban Bay Management Group page http://www.obanharbour.scot/information ... ent-group/.

There is a free text box at the end of the survey and we encourage people to use this to express any concerns they may have about the HRO or process to date, not all questions need to be completed to allow the form to be submitted.

Oban Bay is one of Scotland’s most popular destinations for the boating community. It is also one of the busiest commercial harbours. The North Channel entrance is narrow and has for some time been the focus of concerns on safety in the area. RYA Scotland is clear that there is an absolute need for safer management of marine traffic in Oban Bay.

The Oban Bay Management Group is leading discussions on how best to approach these challenges and RYA Scotland volunteers are working hard with the stakeholders group to ensure the voice of the boating community is included alongside that of the community of Oban Bay.

We believe the current level of engagement and the intentions of the Oban Bay Management Group are not adequately transparent and that the interests of the local community and the recreational boating community are being ignored.

RYA Scotland believes a Trust Port model for the Harbour Authority of Oban Bay, recommended in the Fisher Associates report, is the most inclusive option and will best represent the widest range of stakeholder interests but this has been dismissed by the management group without consultation.

RYA Scotland wants to ensure that all interested groups and individuals are involved in the decision about the future management of Oban Bay as any Harbour Revision Order is likely to be in effect for a long time.

cpedw
Old Salt

Public Meeting about Oban Bay harbour authority

Postby cpedw » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:27 am

Wed 18 Jul 6.00pm. Corran Halls, Oban Esplanade.

Oban Bay Management Group (another disguise of CalMac/CMAL) has organised a public (it was originally meant to be for local businesses only) meeting to discuss their plans for Oban Bay harbour authority.

Derek

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm

I wonder if the conduct of the Ferry skippers - particularly the Clansman - will be discussed?
Is ok having a set of regulations which clearly give you all the rights but consideration for other water users - particularly just to the west of the red and white tower - ought not to be lost. Clansman came around that corner heading out at such a lick that she was heeling to Starboard as she came round and the bow wave was tremendous. My grandson was on Claymore with me at the time and couldn't hang on, fell and cracked his head. When I worked on the River Wyre in the 80's we had the 3 P+O RoRo ferries Buffalo, Bison and Puma coming in and out of Fleetwood everyday with never an issue regarding other boats. Perhaps the P&O skippers were just better at what they did than the Clown who was skippering Clansman?
I'll write to the MCA as I recorded times and position in the log. If that doesn't produce a satisfactory outcome - well - maybe I'll just wander round and sort the job myself.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

you can also report the incident to the Oban Harbour Management Group:

https://uk.hazman.org/incident/5lUlKMfF ... HNCUeCrXMr

did anyone else who completed the questionnaire, get an email from the Oban Bay Harbour manager?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Thank you - duly done!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Gardenshed wrote:did anyone else who completed the questionnaire, get an email from the Oban Bay Harbour manager?

Yes, I got an invitation to give them a call to discuss things further. I'll see what transpires at Wednesday's meeting before I take up the offer.

Derek

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Re Claymore's CalMac incident, I've used these guys when someone's actions threatened my safety aboard.

https://www.chirp.co.uk/
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:43 pm

claymore wrote:Thank you - duly done!

Good luck with that...I know someone who had their boat rigging damaged by ferry wash in Oban bay. He reconned the ferry was way in excess of the speed limit and even got the ferry speed gunned by the cops to prove Calmac were speeding. He still got nowt.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”