Edinburgh's hotel bed shortage solved

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Edinburgh's hotel bed shortage solved

Postby cpedw » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

According to YBW, the NLB's Fingal will soon be a hotel with character (and cost I expect) in Leith.

There's a very strange photo accompanying the news item on the PBO page. It seems to show a semi-submerged boat. Image
Or is it just a weird paint job? It looks even odder in BM preview with the superimposed snow.

Derek

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Re: Edinburgh's hotel bed shortage solved

Postby Alan_D » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:52 am

I think YBW may have changed the photo now, but the vessel with the funny paint job is indeed the Fingal. Story here https://www.1418now.org.uk/dazzle/ships/mv-fingal/

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:35 pm

A beautiful ship ruined by an ugly paint job. I knew a man who worked on her for a short period and he told a story about launching the buoys and their mooring gear. The buoy would be placed in the water and the anchor hung over the side with all the chain laid on the deck. The anchor would be released and as it and the chain accelerated, the chain would rise off the deck in a curve before it dropped over the side into the water. Another story he told about painting the buoys. In rough weather they would stand off a wee bit and through a paint out the pot onto the buoy. It would be nice to see her painted normally, her interior was supposed to be magnificent inside, a sort of last blast to colonial, marine woodwork.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote: I knew a man who worked on her for a short period and he told a story about launching the buoys and their mooring gear. The buoy would be placed in the water and the anchor hung over the side with all the chain laid on the deck. The anchor would be released and as it and the chain accelerated, the chain would rise off the deck in a curve before it dropped over the side into the water. Another story he told about painting the buoys. In rough weather they would stand off a wee bit and through a paint out the pot onto the buoy.
It would be a different sort of hotel if they reran these activities for (by?) the guests.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”