Temporary obstacle in Connel Bay

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Temporary obstacle in Connel Bay

Postby cpedw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 am

This link https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i599y060ad884r/SME_PLAT-I_Connel%20Poster_23102017.pdf?dl=0 describes a tidal turbine that's scheduled to be in Connel Bay November and December.

I won't be out and about then, but someone might be?

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Re: Temporary obstacle in Connel Bay

Postby DaveS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 pm

While I can see their advantage from a maintenance perspective, I must say I don't like tidal turbine designs that involve creating a navigational hazard. At least one boat has already collided with the column design in Strangford Loch - which there is talk of replicating in Kyle Rhea. IMHO there should be an insistence that a minimum LW depth of, say, 15m is maintained.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: Temporary obstacle in Connel Bay

Postby cpedw » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 pm

There is (currently) no intention to have a permanent installation at Connel, though the Falls of Lora impresses me with the power on display.

The people doing it have said that they are trialling their new design of turbine platform which they hope to sell in SE Asia for use in river estuaries.

They also said they hope to observe its influence on marine life.

I don't know if they are being devious or stupid; these explanations don't seem to make much sense to me. But they seemed like pleasant enough people at a public meeting last month in Connel. Installation is now in progress so they seem to have moved their timetable forward a bit.

I can't find the source (must have been a bit of gossip I heard) but I think the Kyle Rhea turbine scheme has been abandoned.

Derek

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”