Porpoises

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Porpoises

Postby marisca » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:01 am

According to the BBC a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) has been created in the Inner Hebrides and Minches for harbour porpoises. Quite how they are going to convey this message to the hunners of the things that are sporting around the Clyde, I dinnae ken. I don't think I've ever seen so many of them before, them and diving gannets. Maybe they need a SAC for the wee fishes they predate on.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Porpoises

Postby mm5aho » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:30 pm

I too have noticed more porpoises that I can remember in the Clyde in the past few months.

But I've only seen dolphins in the Western Isles, never porpoises.

Will creating an SAC cause an immigrant crisis?
Will the Western Isles seek a SCEXIT (divorce from the rest of Scotland)?
How will they encourage the porpoises to move?

I encountered some Whale and Dolphin trust (or something named similar) at Lochmaddy in May, and having noticed dolphins at play near Hyskeir in the night when passing, asked them when dolphins sleep. I was disappointed that they didn't know.

We wondered when the dolphins sleep as they were playing round our bow in the dark. We then wondered if they wondered the same thing - "When do humans sleep?"
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:40 pm

mm5aho wrote:We wondered when the dolphins sleep as they were playing round our bow in the dark. We then wondered if they wondered the same thing - "When do humans sleep?"

Dolphins are unusual among mammals in that they sleep with half of their brain at a time - the ones you saw might have been half asleep.

Scientific American article: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 0528,d.d24

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:22 am

That's a trick I'd like to learn, though my wife thinks I've mastered it already and do it all the time!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”