Hazards approaching Dunstaffnage

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
docoliver
Midshipman
Boat Type: Starlight 35

Hazards approaching Dunstaffnage

Postby docoliver » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:29 pm

The Fish Farm off Ganavan has surrounded itself with 20 cm yellow buoys - ? Mussels. I met the first line approaching from Kerrera , and thought better of going between them with their rather long trailing lines . Having gone half a cable outside the limit defined by their yellow lit buoys , I saw another row of them a cable outside the marked area of the Farm . They would not be visible , or indeed expected , in darkness .
This after passing what appeared to be a black plastic oil can marker off Ganavan Bay between the two 40m soundings.

Beware ! Docoliver , La Mouette.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Hazards approaching Dunstaffnage

Postby marisca » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 am

Serves you bloody right! How dare you be out on the water while the rest of us are locked down. At least we can watch your mooring on the SAMS webcam and clype on you the moment you step on board. Keep safe!

docoliver
Midshipman
Boat Type: Starlight 35

Postby docoliver » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:52 am

Only trying to be helpful , Mr Pugh . Nobody will need the info now .

FYI I was moving from the winter mooring at Ardfern to my own mooring for summer storage . No fun involved ( apart from the dolphins ) as the wind was always within 20 degrees of the bow . And it was last week ...... now back to reading Love in the Time of Cholera .

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:49 pm

The black plastic oil can seems to have been there for years. God knows what it is tied to. Several times I was tempted to check it out, but we were always headed back for the marina when passing it, and I couldn't be bothered.

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”