New buoys for Oban Bay

Post any interesting Scottish sailing news here . . .
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

New buoys for Oban Bay

Postby cpedw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

This Notice announces Seasonal Port & Stbd buoys (one of each) in the North Channel. They are also shown on the Code of Practice where the chartlet illustrates the locations.

Both these documents show them as unlit but an evening in Eeusk was slightly disturbed by feeble flashing lights from them.

They are intended to mark the extremes of the Small Boat Channel at the narrowest part.

Derek

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Re: New buoys for Oban Bay

Postby Alan_D » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 am

I thought they had changed the lateral marks to cardinal ones to avoid confusing the occasional visitor who doesn't understand the direction of buoyage in Oban, so this might be a retrograde step.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: New buoys for Oban Bay

Postby cpedw » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Alan_D wrote:I thought they had changed the lateral marks to cardinal ones to avoid confusing the occasional visitor who doesn't understand the direction of buoyage in Oban, so this might be a retrograde step.

They did indeed round the Ferry Rocks in the SOund of Kerrera. That helped to make things clearer there.

I have heard that people have been confused, keeping between the new laterals then ignoring the Corran Ledge cardinal. Nobody has come to grief on the Corran Ledge just yet though.

Derek

Return to “Around the Scottish Coast”