CC10

Good grief, it's the end of the Noughties
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

CC10

Postby DaveS » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:10 pm

I've never before been first to post in an entirely new section. What an honour, eh?

Avilion should hopefully be available for CC10, hopefully, but I seem to have a wee structural problem that I'll be looking into first. I've been bothered this year by rain water coming in from the mast base. In preparing the boat for coming out I noticed that the deck under the mast base is depressed by about 10mm which is presumably what has causing the leak. The mast base bolts to a compression post which in turn is bolted to the forward keel bolts. It would seem that all of this has moved down by about 10mm which is confirmed by a gap at the bottom of the bulkhead.

The obvious thought is that the rigging has been over tensioned, but I rather suspect a more serious fault. I might have to be rather busy over the winter...

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: CC10

Postby Silkie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 pm

Boats eh? Dontcha just love 'em.

I hope it turns out a lot less serious than you fear.

If you think that an incentive to get it sorted in jig time might help, I can offer you a berth on the good ship Silkie should you fail.

:wink:
different colours made of tears

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for that, you never know...

Hopefully Avilion will be coming out sometime this week. Once ashore and sitting on her keel with the mast off I would expect to see everything back in its usual position. Then it'll be a case of removing woodwork to (a) see if there's any cracking in the floors, and (b) see what repairs / reinforcement can realistically be carried out. One complication is that the bulkhead must have been inserted before joining the hull and deck and, fixed as it is between GRP shoulders on both sides, cannot now be removed in one piece. :(

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Are there criteria for entry to the CC? Looks like we'll be on the west coast from early March, and not having attended any such gatherings I am unfamiliar with the etiquette.......

tcm
Old Salt

Postby tcm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:13 pm

MrMcP wrote:Are there criteria for entry to the CC? Looks like we'll be on the west coast from early March, and not having attended any such gatherings I am unfamiliar with the etiquette.......

No criteria whatsoever. In fact last year, somehow, the Cruise Director was in London and his boat in Fleetwood throughout the event, so we had to ring him up all the time.

It is for this reason that approximately three hundred thousand boats took part in CC09, altho of course, due to pressure of work and (mostly) not knowing about it, the actual number of boats taking part was about seven, on and off...

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:26 pm

As this season draws to a close, except for the few hardy souls who intend sailing over the winter, it's very nice for Mme S and myself to look forward to next year, and the possibility of fulfilling some unrealised dreams or ambitions.

The CC rates high in the Shard social calendar (bit sad really...), so, Mr McP, no etiquette except a desire to muck in and enjoy the company. I wasn't around in its early manifestations, but have thoroughly enjoyed the last two or three. Hopefully some good sailing, but definitely some marvellous company. Great fun.

PS: A robust constitution can be an advantage.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Shard wrote:...have thoroughly enjoyed the last two or three.

Didn't you enjoy the first couple then?

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Shard wrote: Hopefully some good sailing, but definitely some marvellous company. Great fun.

My kind of sailing.....great excuse for an early season dawdle. For those that don't mind early reefing (avoids gin spillage), there will be spare beds on Ogun and plenty opportunities to tell the skipper how things should be done. :)

No musical talent at all, but according to previous shoreside excursions apparently I can erupt into full gaelic song after sufficient refreshment.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:01 am

Silkie wrote:
Shard wrote:...have thoroughly enjoyed the last two or three.

Didn't you enjoy the first couple then?

Jings, crivvens, helpmaboab, izzat five of them then....?

And what with Mr McP saying that he's gonnae gie it laldie wi' "apparently I can erupt into full gaelic song after sufficient refreshment", it's chust going to be tickety-boo. Chust so.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:34 am

MrMcP wrote:
Shard wrote: Hopefully some good sailing, but definitely some marvellous company. Great fun.

My kind of sailing.....great excuse for an early season dawdle. For those that don't mind early reefing (avoids gin spillage), there will be spare beds on Ogun and plenty opportunities to tell the skipper how things should be done. :)

No musical talent at all, but according to previous shoreside excursions apparently I can erupt into full gaelic song after sufficient refreshment.

Harrummphh
There'll be no dawdlin' if you don't mind - take that man's name, I shall see him at the Bar.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Shard wrote:Jings, crivvens, helpmaboab, izzat five of them then....?

Well I've done 4.5 and although you wimped out on the 0.5 you've still done 4 by my reckoning.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Silkie wrote:Well I've done 4.5 and although you wimped out on the 0.5 you've still done 4 by my reckoning.

What was the 0.5 then?

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:58 pm

In 2007 DaveS and I met up for a night in Puilladobhrain and then ran for home the next day after a forecast for severe gale 9 imminent.

tcm
Old Salt

Postby tcm » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:14 pm

If you turned up, that's a full 1 score. Claysie gets a CC2009 medal too, somehow.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Indeed - courtesy of BT and Orange.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “CC2010”