Jib Sheets

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Jib Sheets

Postby Pete Cooper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:24 pm

I have read about many different ways of attaching jib sheets to the jib. On my wee boat I have been using a small snapshackle which was held in the centre of the sheet by some whipping. The whipping has now fallen apart so I am trying a new method. I have run the sheet through the clew and tied a figure of eight knot each side of, and as close to the clew as I can manage. Do you think that this will work? Thanks.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Jib Sheets

Postby marisca » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 pm

the way I have seen but never tried (I use a cow hitch on one sail and bowlines on others) is a loop and a tail whipped into/onto the sheets. The loop is poked through the clew cringle and the tail put through the loop.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:39 pm

I have a one piece sheet secured to the clew cringle with cow hitch variant. Basically a cow hitch with an extra turn around the tails, like this:

different colours made of tears

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 pm

Aquaplane had one continuous rope with a loop in the middle poked through the clew and both sheets then through the loop as Marisca said.

The Mirror had a knot either side of the clew cringle.

All other boats use bowlines.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Pete Cooper
Old Salt

Postby Pete Cooper » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:17 pm

I have used bowlines - and have had problems, albeit minor, with them catching on various bits of rigging. I have used the cowhitch method and found that by the end of the season the knot was too tight to undo and I had to cut the rope. I'll see how my method works on Wednesday. Thanks all.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:05 am

aquaplane wrote:Aquaplane had one continuous rope with a loop in the middle poked through the clew and both sheets then through the loop ..

That's what I have, I thought that was a cow hitch. I've heard that it will damage the sail, but I've found it OK. I managed to open the knot and remove the sheet for washing over the winter. Despite appearances, it doesn't slip. I think that it is less likely to catch on the shrouds.

I thought that Marisca was describing the other system where you have an extra piece of line whipped on which pokes through the loop like a marlin spike.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:52 am

bowlines are the simplest and easiest and mean you can easily remove one or both sheets if necessary (if a sheet gets chafed or damaged.
Alternatively, splice a loop in the end of each sheet (not easy if braided rope, simple if dyneema) and use a soft shackle to attach all to the sail. Hardware/steel shackles at the end of a sheet flapping in the wind is not a great idea.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 am

I've used a cowhitch and managed - with a bit of effort - to get the knot untied after three seasons or longer. I have had the same genoa sheets since purchasing them in Kilmore Quay in 2006 on the way to Spain and I don't think they have been removed from the sail more than 3 times max.

It is far superior to any other method on any other boat I have sailed from the pov of not snagging on the shrouds (or anything else).
- Nick 8)

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Bought new rope for genoa sheets last season and thought I'd try the cow hitch. I was a bit dubious thinking it may slip but it never has. Maybe more to do with the rope being braid on braid. easy enough to get undone end of last season. I wish I'd used this method years ago. never catches now when tacking.

Pete Cooper
Old Salt

Postby Pete Cooper » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:45 pm

If my double figure of eight doesn't work I'll give the cowhitch another try.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:22 pm

I used a variant on a previous boat which had hanked on jibs. A continuous jib sheet had a seized and sewn loop in the middle. Each jib had a length of line attached to the clew by either another seized and sewn loop or possibly a bowline - I forget. This was then attached to the sheet loop using a double sheet bend which could be easily untied even after heavy load.

I currently use two jib sheets and bowlines, but they do occasionally catch and I'm thinking about converting to something better, possibly involving a soft shackle.

Pete Cooper
Old Salt

Postby Pete Cooper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:35 am

Just a wee update ... I tried a figure of 8 each side of the clew and it worked but didn't look right and I was concerned that the clew had a few inches to slide on the sheet at each tack and might have caused premature wear so I have reverted to a cow hitch as suggested. My jibs are hanked on but as I only really use 2 of them, I have separate sheets for each jib and they now stay attached.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:27 pm

What annoys me about genoa sheets is them catching on the stays or shrouds. I like the look of the cow hitch, but that probably only works for a single rope forming both sheets?

I have two sheets, one with red fleck and one with green (to remind which is stbd and which port!), any suggestions for individual sheet attachment?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Prob best for single sheets is a bowline with the bite taped down

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”