Making a gooseneck

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Making a gooseneck

Postby Nick » Wed May 25, 2016 6:51 pm

The gooseneck on Fairwinds has broken and is not repairable. I took the remnants to a friend with a machine shop who said he could make one if I got a suitable piece of phosphor bronze, which I did (at not inconsiderable expense).

Unfortunately my friend is both incredibly busy and suffering from a buggered back. Does anyone know any other machine shop that might be able to make this piece for me? The boat is not really useable until this is sorted, so it is quite urgent as I have a planned long weekend coming up.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Making a gooseneck

Postby marisca » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 pm

There is "Twin Celts" machine shop at Benderloch. No experience of them whatsoever but not too far from you.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 pm

This Glasgow machine shop reverse engineers for the classic and vintage market http://www.forrestprecisioneng.com

I have used West of Scotland Engineering, http://westofscotlandengineering.co.uk, next to the Clyde Tunnel, for weld repairs and re-machining classic bike cylinder heads and for flat plates with radiuses corners and various holes, good service, a bit expensive.

At Cumbernauld I have used AD Metal Fabrication, for chain plate backing pads enquiries@admetalfabrications.co.uk , http://www.admetalfabrications.co.uk They can certainly weld stainless and machine flat plate. Very low cost (by a factor of 5 for the same product at WOS), and very helpful.

I know they are not near you but if any were if use I am sure the forum members could get them there, for example, I hope to be in Cairnbaan next week and could take the item down. I will also be travelling back up with my van and stuff for the refit so could bring back.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:30 pm

Fixed it by drilling and tapping a screw into the old reefing handle and making a bracket with a big hammer.

New (permanent) phosphor bronze fitting commissioned from the Odshed.
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Glad to hear that you have effected a repair. I hadn't worked out which bit had broken, but I can see it now from your picture.

Did it break under fair use or did something drastic happen to over strain it?

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:54 pm

ash wrote:Glad to hear that you have effected a repair. I hadn't worked out which bit had broken, but I can see it now from your picture.

Did it break under fair use or did something drastic happen to over strain it?

Ash

The eyes in the rotating bit both broke, probably because the original pin had been replaced many years ago with a threaded bolt (to which the rams horns were attached) when the boat was converted to slab reefing.

The whole round bit then broke while trying to extract the roll pin.

It's only ally, and 44 years old . . .
- Nick 8)

JEN-et-ROSS
Midshipman
Boat Type: Bavaria 38 Lagoon (1990)

Postby JEN-et-ROSS » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Nick wrote:.
Fixed it by drilling and tapping a screw into the old reefing handle and making a bracket with a big hammer.

New (permanent) phosphor bronze fitting commissioned from the Odshed.

Nice job Nick, reminds me of one I made recently...................................

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:18 am

JEN-et-ROSS wrote:Nice job Nick, reminds me of one I made recently...................................

When I say 'fixed it by' I mean with a rather large amount of assistance and encouragement from a friend with a pillar drill , hammer and vice.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”