Echo sounder interference

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Echo sounder interference

Postby Silkie » Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm

The new engine is wonderful except that the depthometer produces random readings when it is running.
Those of you with long memories may remember that I had the same problem with the venerable Yamaha which was improved by fitting a couple of ferrite rings to the charging wires between the engine and the battery and finally solved by fitting six. However I now have all six fitted to the same wires on the Tohatsu 6hp Sailpro with no improvement noticeable at all.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?
we can be heroes

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Echo sounder interference

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 pm

I was going to be flipant and say turn the engine of to get a good depth reading but thought better of it.

Would it shag the alternator if you put a switch in the charging circuit so you could get rid of the interference when you really need the depth?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed May 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Fit more ferrite rings?
- Nick 8)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu May 26, 2016 12:25 pm

How do we know if it's alternator or ignition noise? Is there any merit in 'scanning' the area with a tranny radio to try and isolate the source. If there's no activity on forums indicating similar problems with that engine type, perhaps it's the echosounder installation which needs investigated. Mine (ST60) had a cable chafed through against a steering rod. It used to go 'off soundings' regularly until it was fixed, now it's magic. Best of luck...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Pilgrim
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Rival 36

Postby Pilgrim » Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 am

You could also try and fit ferrite rings to the cable that runs into the ST60 display from the echo sounder. If you put them near the display they should help to filter out the noise before it enters the display electronics. The energy induced into the echo sounder cables will be less than that transmitted from the source of the noise so the ferrite may be more effective in this location.Different ferries have different properties and work at different frequencies. I seem to recall at one point Raymarine used to supply ferrites with their displays so it might be worth trying to get hold of one of these to get the best chance of fixing the problem.

If the display is connected to a seatalk network, try temporarily disconnecting these as I have known noise on these disrupt an St60 display. Again ferrites on these cables close to the display may help.

It may be worth looking at how the cables are run. Check that both the echo sounder cable and the sea talk cables are physically separate If possible from running parallel to any cables that could be causing the source of the noise.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri May 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks for that gentlemen - some good ideas to try.

Not such a wacky idea Bob. Although I wouldn't want to stop the engine, I used to be able to get a reading with the previous engine, before the problem was solved, by knocking it back to tickover briefly.

The manual clearly says that damage may be caused to the charging circuit by running the engine without being connected to a battery but Tohatsu UK forwarded my email to Japan whose first suggestion was to disconnect the charging wires to see if that was really the source of the problem. :)

I don't know if it's alternator or ignition Bill I just jumped to a conclusion based on the previous issue :oops: so your and Mark's suggestion about considering the echosounder cabling makes a lot of sense. I had assumed it would be shielded already but there's at least 6" of cable at the display end that isn't.

I'll let you know how I get on.
we can be heroes

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”