Sailspar dismantling problems

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Sailspar dismantling problems

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Well, today I went down to the boatyard to remove the unit to send it to Sailspar for servicing. Needless to say things did not go as planned. I have attached three photos below which will hopefully make what follows a little bit clearer.

I assumed that if I undid the screws in the attached pic forestay_2.jpg the whole unit would somehow just slide off. However, I was unable to remove them, so instead undid the four nuts that hold the top of the inner drum to the forestay cover (for want of a better word).

I was a bit amazed when a load of bearings fell out, as I had not expected there to be any there. (Apparently between the bearing race on the top of the drum and what is marked on the pic forestay_1.jpg as the top bearing race - though it is completely flat and so not like any normal type of bearing race.

The plastic washer which looks as though it might be intended to hold these in place would not come off over the flange the bottom of which forms the top bearing surface, so that cannot be its function.

It was also now apparent that the remainder of the fitting would not slide off even if the seized stainless screws were removed, as it would not pass over the flange formed by the ring forming the top bearing surface. Is the nut with flats on it a locknut designed to be removed to detach the bottom section of the unit from the forestay? This seems the only way further dismantling is possible, though this would mean that the forestay was only held on by a thread which one would imagine could unscrew if the forestay itself rotated too much.

(Dismantling as described above also seems the only way to get the swivel off the bottom of the foil as well)

I realise this might not make a lot of sense, but it is the best I can do. Can anyone shed any light?
- Nick 8)

Greyfisherman
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Etap 32s

Re: Sailspar dismantling problems

Postby Greyfisherman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Nick,

Can't help with advice specific to your furling gear - but have dealt with Sailspar for many years for various bespoke jobs and have found them excellent for both advice and quality of workmanship.

I'm sure if you give them a ring and ask for Derrick (yes Derrick) you'll get excellent advice on how to get everything apart - - their number is 01206-251348.

Good luck with it.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:16 pm

I take it that you have a paper copy of the installation instructions. This should be a link to a PDF - http://www.sailspar.co.uk/yacht-products/headsail-reefing/?a=specification#installation Edit - you need to click on the installation box to get to the PDF

From my first quick read -

The forestay is connected to the unit via a Sta Loc

The torque tube is connected to the unit by the 4 studs / nuts that you undid - I don't think that this should have released any bearings - I assume that the unit is faulty - which is why you are removing it.

The torque tube is connected to the bottom tube by a number of screws around the circumference.

Each foil section is connected to the one above by a joint piece and a screw.

There are nylon bushes filling the space between the forestay and the foil at each joint

I would have thought that you could remove the 4 dome nuts, slide the assembly up the forestay by say 50 mm to expose the Sta Loc. Splitting the Sta Loc would remove the unit from the forestay and foil system.

Removing the drive rope,and the side plates, and also removing the pin from from the toggle would allow the unit to be taken off the boat

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Nick wrote:.

though this would mean that the forestay was only held on by a thread which one would imagine could unscrew if the forestay itself rotated too much.

Surely this is the situation with all forestays, irrespective of furling system. The 'stud' attached to the forestay also has a locknut so that the stud won't unscrew - this would apply to a bottle screw as well as a furling system.

Ash

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Nick wrote:.
to the forestay cover (for want of a better word).

I think that this bit is called the "torque tube" in the installation instructions

Ash

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 pm

So I have to break the Stalock and replace it?

Was hoping to not have to do any actual 'rigging'

(Btw, Ipad spellchecker changes Stalock to Stalinism :santa: )
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:09 pm

If you watch the video on the sailspar site, it briefly shows that fresh water should be used in the hole at the bottom of the chrome torque tube, so there must be balls just below that.

I haven't listened to the video.

Ash

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Nick wrote:So I have to break the Stalock and replace it?

Was hoping to not have to do any actual 'rigging'

(Btw, Ipad spellchecker changes Stalock to Stalinism :santa: )

I think.......

If you look at the photo in the instructions which shows the "A" dimension - The top 'A' is beside the unit , the lock nut, and the stud with the Stalock - all sitting 'loose'

You would want to hold both the unit, and the stud still and loosen the lock nut by a turn. Study the exposed thread to decide if it is standard thread or left hand thread.

Then you want to hold the lock nut, stud, and fore stay all still in relation to each other and then unscrew the unit from the stud. You wouldn't then need to break the Stalock.

Ash

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:17 pm

OK, that all sounds quite straightforward. The bit I don't understand is that I was led to believe I could get the whole unit off in a oner without dropping any balls. This would have involved taking the unit off with the torque tube still attached, but of course that would not be possible because the torque tube would not go over the ring that forms the top bearing surface on its underside.

If I have done it the right way so far it is going to be hellishly difficult to get the balls back in to reassemble the unit . . . I thought the plastic washer was maybe meant to keep the ball race covered, but it is sized to sit on top of the top ball race flange (or whatever it is called). I suppose the answer might be a non-waterproof grease I can wash out afterwards.

Sailspar are very helpful, but are off until the 4th so I will have more feedback then. Meanwhile, I suppose I should move this to Gear and gadgets, which is where it should be.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:30 am

Yer doomed laddie
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Getting the little balls back in is great fun. I did it on a Colnbroke top bearing where there are 50 of the wee sods. First, spread a big sheet of some sort under the working area to catch the ones you will drop. Next, get a can of shaving foam. This gives sufficient stick to hold most of them in place and will wash off with water. You will drop some before you get the right amount of foam on and they will get mucked up or lost if you do not start with a sheet under the job.

I managed it in a windy yard in the open, which I would not recommend to anyone. If you can get the job indoors or under a tent, then do so. And good luck.
Ken

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:07 pm

The shaving foam sounds like a top tip. Do you think gel would be too sticky/solid??
- Nick 8)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:16 am

Whichever is used should be washed out once the assembly is intact, otherwise grit could gather.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”