Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Re: Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

Postby Ghillie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:57 pm

+1 chain galvanising...& antifoul...& whatever breaks next.

Roger

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:57 pm

I have 35m of chain needs regalvanising, so coun t me in
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:13 pm

Me too please. Approx. 30m x 1/4" assuming it hasn't turned into a solid lump in the bilge since I haven't had it out this year. Also possibly a 20lb plough if it doesn't have a lead-filled tip. :)
different colours made of tears

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Chain and anchor re-galvanizing:
I'm planning this for late December or early Jan 16.
There's perhaps 10 of us wanting something, so I'll post a plan here early Dec in order to coordinate.

Anti-fouling.
Is this idea dead? I might have a way to get some details of something like Interspeed 6400, or Interspeed 6200, probably comes on 25 or 200 litres at a time. Any interest?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Geoff

Good stuff. As I said I'm up for the chain and anchor galvanising. As for the antifouling I could get interested in 25 litres of 6400

Regards
Donald

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 am

I believe the Elgin galvanisers are the ones to go to with chain as they have a spinner.
I'm getting some RSJs done there later on this year so if anybody wants to chuck their stuff in at the same time get in touch. Don't have a date yet but thinking of getting it organised sooner rather than later.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:17 am

The Elgin plant and the Cumbernauld plant are the same ownership and operate as if one company (though legally are separate). I'm MD of both (so blame me).
Welcome to do your own thing, I'm just trying to facilitate a "bulk buy" by lumping as many orders together as possible (including my own), to avoid our minimum change per order, and to have a "users eye" on the outcome. Chain isn't easy!

We do have a spinner in Elgin, but typically don't use it for anchor chain. The reason is that a spinner (or centrifuge) results in thinner coating of zinc. And life expectancy is directly proportional to thickness, so thicker lasts longer. But too thick is a problem too; it must fit the gypsy! In fact we're thinking to move the spinner south where it would get used more for the type of work done at that plant.

Geoff
Geoff.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Hmmm, ok then.
I've got about 9m of RSJ to do, obviously I wasn't planning to drive that down to Glasgow.
Would you recommend me to chuck my chain in at Elgin, or will the other plant do a better job of it? I was under the impression it had to be done with a spinner but obviously there's more to it than that :)

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

For most of us, timing isn't to critical at this time of year - (for me boat out of the water for the winter), so this allows for great flexibility of timing - something that isn't normal in galvanizing, so the price can reflect that flexibility.
We often have vehicles between the sites, so if you were to leave the chain there when you get your RSJs done, we can move it to Cumbernauld to join in with the other material being processed together, the get it back up the A9 for later. But if timing is critical - say you need it done between your winter sailing trips, then this advantage evaporates. A chain on a pallet can just join the next truck that has space. That might be a day or a week later, or even a fortnight!

It could be that this also geographic limitation applies to others in the north? If so same could apply, but needs to be coordinated. Let me know.
Geoff
Geoff.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 pm

A drop off in Elgin would suit me perfectly, as by chance I will be driving past there at the end of the month! Collection from Cumbernauld ( whenever) will be easier, plenty hauliers running Glasgow to Stornoway.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:44 pm

Geoff
Is it best that we put anchor/chain on a pallet for ease of handling?

Regards
Donald

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:42 am

General arrangements:

Identification.
Chain is hard to differentiate one from another. Can you please put a weatherproof tag tied to the chain with a name on. We will also put our tag on it when it arrives, for internal identification. Tag your anchor too if you are getting an anchor done.

Palletisation / packaging
If you have one to spare be good to have it on a pallet, but be wary of chain falling through the pallet. Piece of ply or sheet steel or something under to stop it rattling through the gaps. If you don't have a pallet, don't worry, we have plenty. It's quite OK to turn up with a pile of chain in the boot of your car! Opening hours at each place are 0700-1700 (with a little flexibility too, both sites work shifts)

Timing.
OK to start next week. Drop off chains and anchors at either Highland Galvanizers in Elgin (IV30 6FG), or Highland Colour Coaters in Cumbernauld (G67 2JH) Maps of each are here.. http://www.higalv.co.uk/contact.asp
We will process this over a period of a month or so (that flexibility of time is how to get the price down!) and I'll advise completion.

Payment.
Price as advised previously: Chain £25, anchor £5
I'll advise payment method, which will either be by Paypal to me (so I lump them together and pay one invoice), or credit card by phone. I'll let you know this soon.

Any questions?

So far on the list:
Nick, Ghillie, Northup2, Mavanier, mm5aho, ash, DaveS, Aja, Sahona, Mehitabel, SteveN, Silkie.
Geoff.

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks Geoff, that's great. It's really good of you to do this.
I'll aim to drop my chain into Cumbernauld at the end of the last week in November on return from a work session on the boat, so around the 26th./27th. if that's not too late?

I'll be taking my trailer over to Barcaldine to get my chain so would be happy to collect others' from the Oban area. If anyone wants to call into Creran Marine with their chain and/or anchors during that week then I can take it to Cumbernauld. Or you could leave it under the bow of the boat before that if you prefer. Do bring some form of pallet/crate/box though as I know from experience that loose chain soon migrates to the front of the trailer and the nose weight gets out of hand.

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Geoff,
Brilliant.

I too cannot deliver my chain (50m of 8mm) before the end of November, it being at Ardrossan presently and my being away till then. Hope that is ok.

Many thanks
Roger

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:54 pm

The way to get this convenient for all, and value, (without it being a gift) is flexibility.
In principle, a window of several weeks to get the various anchors and chains assembled into a bulk order, (that's the convenience part) then several weeks to get processed (that and the bulking of the order to reduce admin costs is the way to get the cost down), and then a few weeks to allow for collections of the finished goods. By doing these it should be that each participant had enough of a time window to deliver / collect, and that makes it work in terms of bulk, which allows the low price. And for most of us, this works being during the layup period of winter storms and "stuckindooredness".

That as I understand it is the principle of this great idea started by a big man with a white beard. (Not Santa!)

So for clarity. Can accept any of the chains and anchors at either location north or south from now on until early December. They'll get done during December, and can be paid and collected either then or into January, but before the end of January.
Geoff.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”