Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

How things work, what's hot and what's not
SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Re: Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

Postby SteveN » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:47 pm

marisca wrote:
SteveN wrote:I'd be up for a group anchor chain re-galvanising project if we could get together enough to make it worthwhile. I could probably do the collection/transport too.

Calling mm5aho! Obviously SteveN does not watch BBC Scotland News.

Sorry but you're wrong there. I realise that we have Mr. Galvaniser in out midst, but I thought it would still be preferable to get a bulk order together.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:41 am

Another chain for re galvanising, I can get it to Glasgow easily enough (or Elgin!)

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:18 pm

marisca wrote:Probably anti-social, anti-environment and not necessarily cheap - Jotun commercial anti-fouling (7 years between coats!) comes only in red and in 20 litre and bigger quantities. I can see difficulties in persuading the sellers we are commercial, distributing the stuff into smaller quantities and then there is the morality of using anti-fouling that actually works, never mind compatibility with whatever ineffectual stuff we already have on our bottoms.

.... and as an afterthought - unlike Gaelforce's own brand which demands double figure temperatures for application, Jotun SeaQuantum can be applied at the more likely pre-launch temperature of -10C!

This sounds very interesting. Presumably if it lasts 7 years and can take an application temperature below zero then the unused balance of a 20l drum could be happily left in an unheated garage for a few years? Currently I need around 3l of normal antifouling, so a 20l drum of this stuff would last at least 42 years! (I'd be 105 by then, however. :( ) Possibly dispensing into smaller containers would make more sense.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Your presumption is wrong, unfortunately. Jotun state storage is 12 months so it would be decanting into smaller quantities for distribution. The stuff isn't cheap, exact price isn't on the web, but my guess is well over £100 for 2.5litres i.e. getting on for a grand for 20 litres.
I admit, having started it, I'm going off this particular idea, even if it is possible.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Mght be in the market for anchor chain, or maybe just re-galv my existing stuff.
Anybody interested in making up their own standing rigging using swageless terminals and a roll of 1x19? The stuff gets considerably cheaper in bigger drums.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:36 am

I can coordinate a re-galvanizing session.

Mine needs doing too, and I have two CQRs (one I will sell being replaced by my shiny new Knox).

Looks like we have the following:
Aja, NorthUp2, mm5aho, Mavanier, SteveN. That's 5 so far.

I think with another 1-2 we could get this down to a reasonable rate of say £25 for a chain and £5 extra for an anchor.
I suggest to handle the payments that PayPal would work (I have an account), and I'll sort the payment to the company.

Any more?
Timing? How about over the Xmas hols - gives enough time to get each person's chain sorted. Be best to do the separation of chain and anchor your self, retaining whatever connector you have. (mine's a Kong). I'm assuming that others are not using their anchor over the winter?

I'm keen on an anti-fouling bulk buy, but I think to generate significant savings, we'd need to be buying a lot. 5-10 x 2.5 or 3 litre cans probably doesn't attract any discount at all. I've used Seago successfully for some years.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:55 pm

They are having a similar discussion in TOP http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?443261-How-much-does-professional-antifouling-cost but, rather than the cost of materials, they seem to have moved on to ask how much to get someone to antifoul for me. No useful answer yet though.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:20 pm

mm5aho wrote:I can coordinate a re-galvanizing session.

I think with another 1-2 we could get this down to a reasonable rate of say £25 for a chain and £5 extra for an anchor.
I suggest to handle the payments that PayPal would work (I have an account), and I'll sort the payment to the company.

Any more?
Timing? How about over the Xmas hols - gives enough time to get each person's chain sorted..

Can you please put me down for a length of chain plus an anchor for regalvanising please? Approx 30M of 8mm plus a 7.5kg Bruce. Neilston / Glasgow / Kip area, but can travel. Christmas holidays / early new year time would suit me.

I'll maybe add another 10kg Bruce if it's only a fiver.

Ta

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Mine needs doing too, and I have two CQRs (one I will sell being replaced by my shiny new Knox).

Any more?
Timing? How about over the Xmas hols - gives enough time to get each person's chain sorted. Be best to do the separation of chain and anchor your self, retaining whatever connector you have. (mine's a Kong). I'm assuming that others are not using their anchor over the winter?

I'm keen on an anti-fouling bulk buy, but I think to generate significant savings, we'd need to be buying a lot. 5-10 x 2.5 or 3 litre cans probably doesn't attract any discount at all. I've used Seago successfully for some years.

I'd be interested in getting my chain re-galvanised. Also my Delta, but I have heard it said that the tip is lead filled, making re-galvanising impossible. Anybody know whether this is true?

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:14 pm

DaveS wrote:
I'd be interested in getting my chain re-galvanised. Also my Delta, but I have heard it said that the tip is lead filled, making re-galvanising impossible. Anybody know whether this is true?

I suspect its true that it has a lead filled tip.
Most galvanizing contains a little bit of lead, which melts at a lower temp than zinc. Zinc for galvanizing is typically 0.5 - 1.0% lead.
How did they galvanize it in the first place? Or did they add the lead afterward?
Lead is much heavier than zinc, or steel (densities from memory about ... steel: 7.2, solid zinc: 6.9, Lead: 15.)
Does the tip have a small hole for adding the lead?

edit, later
Just looked up the original Delta Patent. It seems to imply a cast steel tip, not a lead filled tip...
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 pm

I have about 50 metres of 10mm chain and a 35lb CQR. Can deliver almost anywhere central belt but I'm away on holiday 27th December to 13th January (won't bore you all but Langkawi sailing 73' Ron Holland and Singapore are all involved).
Payment by PayPal is OK by me too.

Regards
Donald

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 am

I have a 40Lb plough needing galvanised but I'll need to check the nose weight with a magnet by the looks of things as it's anonymous.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Mehitabel
Able Seaman

Postby Mehitabel » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Put me down for chain regalvanising too, 50 M of 8 mm. My new Vulcan doesn't need attention yet after only one season's use - fortunately . Linlithgow based so central belt delivery not a problem.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:06 pm

mm5aho wrote:
DaveS wrote:

I suspect its true that it has a lead filled tip.
Most galvanizing contains a little bit of lead, which melts at a lower temp than zinc. Zinc for galvanizing is typically 0.5 - 1.0% lead.
How did they galvanize it in the first place? Or did they add the lead afterward?
Lead is much heavier than zinc, or steel (densities from memory about ... steel: 7.2, solid zinc: 6.9, Lead: 15.)
Does the tip have a small hole for adding the lead?

edit, later
Just looked up the original Delta Patent. It seems to imply a cast steel tip, not a lead filled tip...

I don't remember a hole, but I'll have a look at the weekend. I suspect it is all steel. I think to make certain I'll measure its density: Archimedes' procedure using a wheely bin, bathroom scales and a hosepipe should do the job...

I live in Falkirk so delivery shouldn't be a problem. 40m X 8mm chain + 16kg anchor (if all steel).

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:05 pm

That would be great, thanks. I have 50m of 3/8" needing doing.
I would take my trailer over to Creran to pick it up so I could collect others' stuff from that area too.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”