Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

How things work, what's hot and what's not
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

Postby marisca » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:18 pm

What you may get back might look a bit like

Over the last umpteen years I've had two chains regalvanised by Highland Colourcoaters. What I did with both was to pass the chain over a block of wood and clout the few stuck links with a hammer. Any stalactites/mites wore away after a couple of uses.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm in Moray today, but should be no problem to add your chain to the batch.
To answer the question:
Re-galvanizing isn't any different to the first galvanizing the chain got really, only that the old remaining zinc must be removed first.
To get the surplus zinc off and prevent the links welding to each other, requires movement during the couple of minutes while the zinc cools from dipping temp of 450C down to 419C the freezing point.
We have two ways to do this, one is centrifuging it - its dipped inside a perforated basket which is rotated at speed on withdrawl from the zinc. This centrifuges the surplus off. The downside of this is that the coating is thinner and so doesn't last as long.
The other is to have enough people present at that moment and to "rattle" the chains as they emerge, and keep them moving. Freezing happens quickly, so it doesn't take too much for this.
As Alistair has said, hammering any frozen ones afterward will loosen any individual links. Zinc is quite soft, and so "breaks" easily though the zinc closest to the steel is harder as that's alloy of zinc and iron. This means it doesn't break the full thickness of the coating off.

But its a job that galvanizers don't like generally - hence the arrangement to get it done being supervised by someone used to suffering the downsides of it not being done well, and knowing exactly what to look for!
Not being a "nice" job is why many galvanizers just decline to do it as too much trouble.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:59 pm

You can remove me from the list Geoff. On closer inspection my number two chain turned out to be a bit of a curate's egg and while much of it is fine there is at least one seriously weak link. Only fit for scrap I'm afraid.
different colours made of tears

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks for the info Geoff. My chain and anchor were added to the pile today. Got my own labels on with cable ties. The girl at reception said just to drop it with the rest so maybe someone could stick one of your own labels on.

Thanks

Ian

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:34 am

Update:
I think we now have all the stuff together. There's a reasonable pile of 9 anchors and 14 chains - all different sizes and shapes. All tagged, described and photographed, then all lumped together into a single order.
They will start the processing today, with paint removal from those items that were painted, then stripping old galvanizing, then new galvanizing. It's unlikely to be done all this week, so will run into New Year, but that's not likely to worry anyone with other more important matters to attend to over the next 2 weeks.
I'll post a payment arrangement here in the NY, and advise about collection when I'm happy they're all done satisfactorily.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Orla
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Lafitte 44

Postby Orla » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Excellent Geoff, thanks very much for organising all this, great job, well done and have a good Xmas :santa:

Doug

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

lordmacdonald wrote:Excellent Geoff, thanks very much for organising all this, great job, well done and have a good Xmas :santa:

Doug

2nd that. Thanks

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:21 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:
lordmacdonald wrote:Excellent Geoff, thanks very much for organising all this, great job, well done and have a good Xmas :santa:

Doug

2nd that. Thanks

Thirded, Thanks

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”