Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

How things work, what's hot and what's not
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Bulk Purchasing and Buying Power

Postby mm5aho » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm

NorthUp2 wrote:I hope to be passing through Elgin en route to Aberdoon on Sunday next, probably early evening, ferries permitting.... Any suggestions where I might leave a pile ( maybe 40m) of 5/16 chain? Failing that, returning from Aberdeen on Thursday morning, could drop it off then if its not too late?
Leaving from Stornoway via Ullapool and Inverness if any needs picking up on the way.

See PM posted today.
Geoff
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Marisca was lifted out today and I am happy to say that the chain, new this year, appears not to be in need of any more zinc. The anchor, a CQR look-alike of uncertain provenance, could do with a rust-hiding coating. Are you happy with an orphan anchor by itself?

docoliver
Midshipman
Boat Type: Starlight 35

Postby docoliver » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:38 pm

I've retreived my 45m of 8mm chain from La Mouette at a peaceful Ardfern today . Would have been at Cumbernauld at 6 15 and would have found a shut gate , so will bring it on Friday morning for some zinc.
Chris.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Marisca: no problem with any single bits, as we're lumping all this stuff together in a single order in my name. Even fake CQRs can be galvanized, provided they're made of steel and not plastic!

Docoliver
The gate doesn't get closed during the week at Cumbernauld, the place is working 24 hours Mon-Fri, but closes around 6pm Fri. So you might not have had a problem. Our regular customers abuse our opening hours, so you might as well too!
Geoff.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:31 pm

I've been away and/or ill. Anyone going anywhere useful from Oban in the near future?
- Nick 8)

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:06 pm

I didn't make it over to the West this week as planned because it's been a clear 'East is best' week weather-wise, so my delivery to Cumbernauld has been delayed. Should be on the cards for next week now.

Nick - I'll be collecting mine from Barcaldine if that's any good to you.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 pm

SteveN wrote:Nick - I'll be collecting mine from Barcaldine if that's any good to you.

Can I meet you in Oban with mine?
- Nick 8)

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Nick wrote:Can I meet you in Oban with mine?

I'm sure we can sort something out. Will post again when I know my plans for the week.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Chain now delivered to Elgin plant, I feel a new unrelated thread coming on though...

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:29 pm

There's a few chains and anchors here now (at Cumbernauld) and others will be moved from Elgin to join that group.

But one is unidentified. It arrived Friday (I was off site somewhere), and didn't get tagged immediately. It has yellow painted intervals with those plastic inserts to indicate length. most distinctive is a swivel and 2 shackles. It's been moved onto another pallet, so doesn't look exactly as left here, but now like this.

[photobucket]Image[/photobucket]

I suspect this to be from Chris, who posted that he'd left one Friday, but to be certain can you confirm?
Also, do you need to be able to undo either of these shackles afterward? If we leave them as they are, they will be "welded" with zinc. There's enough clearance on the swivel to allow that to be done as is, but the threaded shackle is different. No problem to leave them done up as received, but you won't get them undone again for a few years.

In addition, For some people I have a real name, for some their pseudonym for this site, for some a boat name.
If you haven't, can you let me know your name, PM if you don't wish to broadcast that on here. Or email me, using my work address, Geoff@higalv.co.uk

Thanks.

Processing will be after we get all assembled as a single order, probably pre Xmas break, if not soon after.
Geoff.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:27 pm

By the way, just to avoid any doubt.
Any painted marks will burn off in galvanizing. If that way your way of making chain for depth etc, then it will need to be re-instated.
For ordinary galvanizing (other than this special deal) because its such a problem getting paint off prior to processing, this is not a good way to mark chain from the point of view of having it re-galvanized.
And if you use those plastic inserts, take them out prior. (I'll remove those still found in chains received so far).
Things with moving parts, mating surfaces - such as shackles will get "welded" with zinc (mentioned in post above). But there's ways round everything. For example, on a shackle, separate the parts, galvanize individually and chase the threads afterward to get surplus zinc out so that thread works again afterward.
Geoff.

docoliver
Midshipman

Postby docoliver » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks for the photo of my chain with the faded yellow markings , Geoff. In my defence I did offer to put a label on but the helpful chap who unloaded it onto the pallet said he would label it ........ the shackles give it away . From what you say , best to take the shackles off to give me options . Thanks.

Chris Oliver ( La Mouette )

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:57 am

mm5aho wrote:There's a few chains and anchors here now (at Cumbernauld) and others will be moved from Elgin to join that group.

But one is unidentified. It arrived Friday (I was off site somewhere), and didn't get tagged immediately. It has yellow painted intervals with those plastic inserts to indicate length. most distinctive is a swivel and 2 shackles. It's been moved onto another pallet, so doesn't look exactly as left here, but now like this.

[photobucket]Image[/photobucket]

I suspect this to be from Chris, who posted that he'd left one Friday, but to be certain can you confirm?
Also, do you need to be able to undo either of these shackles afterward? If we leave them as they are, they will be "welded" with zinc. There's enough clearance on the swivel to allow that to be done as is, but the threaded shackle is different. No problem to leave them done up as received, but you won't get them undone again for a few years.

In addition, For some people I have a real name, for some their pseudonym for this site, for some a boat name.
If you haven't, can you let me know your name, PM if you don't wish to broadcast that on here. Or email me, using my work address, Geoff@higalv.co.uk

Thanks.

Processing will be after we get all assembled as a single order, probably pre Xmas break, if not soon after.

Think I can see the weak link.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 am

mm5aho wrote:Image

That needs re-galvanising? Wait 'til you see mine. :) You won't need to worry about paint!
different colours made of tears

docoliver
Midshipman

Postby docoliver » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:00 pm

There are a couple of rusty bits in my chain - £25 or so to avoid £250 in a few years ( if I'm spared ) :|

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”