Android plotter - MX Mariner

How things work, what's hot and what's not
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Android plotter - MX Mariner

Postby cpedw » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Not wanting to hijack the ipad thread, I am sharing my recent discovery - MX Mariner on Android (Nexus 10 in my case).

It works well I found, and costs about £12 for the app and 2 UK regions (Admiralty charts) giving the whole west of UK & Ireland. The rest of UK is in 2 more regions, about £4 each.

It will also use Antares charts, though these need to be converted for its use. There's a free PC program, MXcart , to do the converting (took several hours!). The weakness using Antares is that it doesn't switch seamlessly between the chart types - you need to know there's an Antares chart where you are, then switch Chart Regions (about 4 button presses). Not a big inconvenience.

I've not used it much (3 days up Loch Linnhe) and I only use the tablet when it's dry and I'm needing reassurance, but it seemed a little easier to use than memory Map, as well as being a lot cheaper. With the rider about switching to/from Antares being a bit more complex on MX Mariner.

I expect this would work on a phone but I can't imagine it would be much use. Maybe younger eyes would help?

Derek

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Re: Android plotter - MX Mariner

Postby Allegro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Sounds very reasonable, though the Marine Navigator app with the VisitMyHarbour charts comes in at a similar cost. The Antares charts work unaltered in Marine Navigator and just seamlessly appear as further zoom level where available.
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:16 am

cpedw wrote:.....
I expect this would work on a phone but I can't imagine it would be much use. Maybe younger eyes would help?

Just a note (also mentioned on the other thread) that we found the Antares charts most useful on a phone but that is because we both have to now wear reading glasses anyway so just have a more powerful pair for this use. The guy that makes the charts also says not to underestimate their usefulness on a phone. The phone is probably not much use for charting purposes other than Antares but to have in your pocket when coming into a tight anchorage is very handy if your phone has a good gps chip. Antares comes with 5 licences so a setup with two phones, larger tablet and laptop would be the bee's knees :)
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am

Storyline wrote:Antares comes with 5 licences so a setup with two phones, larger tablet and laptop would be the bee's knees :)

Just to note that the 5 licences only apply to the Memory Map software.
If using Antares with other apps, e.g. Marine Navigator on an Android phone/tablet or SeaClear on a laptop, then there are no limitations and you can install as many instances as you need/want, subject to Antares T&Cs.

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:09 pm

SteveN wrote:
Storyline wrote:Antares comes with 5 licences so a setup with two phones, larger tablet and laptop would be the bee's knees :)

Just to note that the 5 licences only apply to the Memory Map software.
If using Antares with other apps, e.g. Marine Navigator on an Android phone/tablet or SeaClear on a laptop, then there are no limitations and you can install as many instances as you need/want, subject to Antares T&Cs.

Useful info - thanks
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”