Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Foredeck Hatch Comparisons and Opinions/Advice Required

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm

I will be replacing the fore hatch and have a choice of three that will fit:-

Vetus Magnus
    Lewmar Ocean 60
    Bainbridge Storm

The Lewmar and Vetus only have £20 price difference but the Bainbridge is £60 cheaper. All for Area 2 (foredecks) but the Brainbridge is 10 mm perspex compared to 12 on the other two. As far looking right, rigidity, tough handles and big frames they are all very similar.

Apparently, Bainbridge directly replaces the Lewmar hatch and is claimed to be a popular hatche. The Vetus has two additional hatch handles, one each side, while the others only have the standard 2 at the aft edge. I wonder if Vetus fitted the extra handles for extra security or if they are needed because the frame is a bit thin.

The current one is an old Vetus job and all new hatches will have to be specially fitted onto the deck flange. Except the Bainbridge, both the Lewmar and Vetus have a flange option i.e. the lower frame is an L shape which will be stiffer. If I wanted to fit the flange base I will need to add an upset platform, 1 1/4" thick, to accommodate the flange. Do you think this is worth it?

So, any comments, opinions, recommendations on these or other hatches?

The opening is 48cm square, with a 6cm wide upset on the deck to mount the flange onto i.e. a 60cm overall length/width can be accommodated.

The Rival will be used to sail offshore so it needs to be a good hatch.

Thanks,

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Foredeck Hatch Comparisons and Opinions/Advice Required

Postby wully » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Being congenitally lazy I'd fit the easiest option....

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:52 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:So, any comments, opinions, recommendations on these or other hatches?

I'm in the same floaty thing. Bainbridge type 60 is now 219.95. At that price, it's cheaper than the cost of reglazing my current Lewmar rollstop 60 circa 1995. What choice did you make, may I ask?

If Lewmar had not made it impossible to remove the hinge pins (to detach the lid and replace the glass) without destroying the pin bushes, which they stopped holding stock of 15 years ago, I wouldn't be asking. They machined a circlip groove at either end of the pin which eventually solved that problem.

These Bainbridge hatches must be absolute crap otherwise, since they started selling them (they're Chinese) in 2012, there would be some comments good or bad but there's nothing, not a whimper nor a whinger.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:00 pm

ParaHandy wrote:
BlowingOldBoots wrote:So, any comments, opinions, recommendations on these or other hatches?
.... What choice did you make, may I ask? ....

Lewmar, flange type without the lip. It fitted well into the inside. I will have to paint / gel coat over the old holes. Sorry for the big image sizes overpowering your screens!

BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Looks near, good choice.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”