Acid Rain or what?

How things work, what's hot and what's not
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Acid Rain or what?

Postby sahona » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:33 am

I'm stuck in our garage trying to get rid of opacity on the wheelhouse cover windows. The boat got showered in "something" while up on the hard in Troon Marina in 2011 for repairs. Typically, it wasn't noticed until too late and I've been trying to fix it ever since.
The vinyl is actually pitted/eaten, so there is nothing to be 'removed' as such although I'd tried everything in the cupboards and shed -unfortunately before coming across this page...http://boatsheen.com/maintenance_clear_vinyl.html.
I have now sunk to the level of trying to polish the plastic down (with brasso and an electric buff) to an acceptable level although it looks as if I will always have to stick my head out of the window to identify anything interesting.
The burning question is, WTF was it that did the damage? It was definitely borne on the wind from fine on the stb'd quarter with the boat facing just North of East - so from the timber yard across the road? Don't tell me that vinyl can't live with sawdust!
Season's greetings to you all, and hope your projects are progressing better than mine!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Acid Rain or what?

Postby Telo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 am

Some wood treatment spray?

Just a thought.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Oxalic acid? Some years ago I ruined a pair of specs with oxalic acid which pitted the lens coating in a matter of seconds.
different colours made of tears

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 pm

Don't think it was that (oxalic), because I use it widely on anything that looks like it may benefit...(and it didn't help in this case)
I sympathize about the goggles though, as I ruined an expensive pair by zapping the non-reflective coating with isopropyl alcohol, which, up to that point, had been the cure for all evils (and I had lots of it salvaged from a former life).
The only replication (of the problem) has been acetone - I tried that and it is a solvent!!! but I can't imagine somebody spraying that around the neighbourhood willy nilly.
Anyway-we've now been told that lift-in is very close, due to crane bookings, so to hell with frivolities - all the underwater bits need dealt with NOW.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm

I once had my hull speckled with hundreds of small welding sparks by one guy working on his boat upwind of mine. Absolute beggar to get rid of them, there are still some turn up now & again, 20 years on.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:14 pm

We had the same problem in Troon a few years ago, someone grinding upwind of the marina.
Several boats had to be treated, but all looked after by the staff. Another great use for oxalic .

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”