screaming depth sounder

How things work, what's hot and what's not
zander lee
Able Seaman
Boat Type: hurley 22

screaming depth sounder

Postby zander lee » Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi latest member here,
Apologies if this post is a: in the wrong place and b: already somewhere on the site (still trying to find my way about).
Can anyone give me a heads up as to why my depth sounder has taken to extending it's usual start up screech to a constant scream.
It's a seafarer voyager and was probably installed in my hurley 22 when it was first sold.
I would be grateful for any tips.
Z

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: screaming depth sounder

Postby wully » Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 pm

zander lee wrote:Hi latest member here,
Apologies if this post is a: in the wrong place and b: already somewhere on the site (still trying to find my way about).
Can anyone give me a heads up as to why my depth sounder has taken to extending it's usual start up screech to a constant scream.
It's a seafarer voyager and was probably installed in my hurley 22 when it was first sold.
I would be grateful for any tips.
Z

It's Seafarer speak for " retire me "

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed May 30, 2012 2:58 am

My Seafarer 501 used to sometimes do that on the shallow range - usually at a very inconvenient time. I always thought that it was caused by a poor connection between the cable and the plug and used to fiddle with that. The plug was a standard TV ariel one and the cable was too thin for it.

It was eventually retired and replaced by a Nasa Clipper Duet (though the paddlewheel lives on with an extra magnet fittted.)

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

zander lee wrote:Hi latest member here,

Is the Voyager a whirlie? If so, it may be a failing spindle bearing, in which case I doubt there's much you can do about it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

zander lee
Able Seaman
Boat Type: hurley 22

Postby zander lee » Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, the general concensus confirm my initial thought ' sounds like time for a new one'.
Z

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed May 30, 2012 2:27 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
Is the Voyager a whirlie? If so, it may be a failing spindle bearing, in which case I doubt there's much you can do about it.

Interesting thought.

My 501 was a whirly, but I'm very sure that my noise came from the alarm sounder. During the fault, you couldn't get a reading (this was the bit that disturbed the crew) on the shallow range, but it was OK on the deep range but this wasn't much comfort when nosing into a shallow bay.

Ash

I've just realised that in my previous post, I talked of preserving the paddlewheel but of course this belonged to the Stowe Navigator 1 which was replaced at the same time.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Wed May 30, 2012 5:15 pm

ash wrote:My 501 was a whirly, but I'm very sure that my noise came from the alarm sounder.

Oo-er. I've never had an echosounder with anything as posh as an alarm. Actually, there may be on the B&G Hecta on Jumblie, but since I'm as stingy as they come with batteries I only ever switch it on when I want immediate readout of depth. Leave it on overnight? Do you think I'm make of lead sulphate?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”