New VHF, Bells and Whistles

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

New VHF, Bells and Whistles

Postby Fingal » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am

Bells and whistles in this instance being very apt metaphor. Following the demise of the old Simrad (tiny display, un-intuitive operation, no longer working) we installed a rather expensive but uber-cool new SH radio with built in AIS yesterday. What an outstanding piece of kit! Set the CPA alarm on the AIS, and when it goes off, assess the emerging close-quarters situation and it's about three easy steps to make a DSC call to the vessel concerned and clarify the position should one want to do that. Not a cheap item but seems very well built, rotary channel selector which kind of takes me back to the old Sailor VHF I learned on, the best display I have seen on a VHF for the leisure market. Still to connect the AIS output to the plotter, not essential but certainly useful and should be easy enough once we obtain the correct cable.

4 stars!
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Re: New VHF, Bells and Whistles

Postby sahona » Mon May 14, 2012 11:38 am

Is this the chappie?

http://www.allgadgets.co.uk/marine/pc/S ... 36p351.htm

Looks good, and all those features! my latest shed project is the design/build of a hailer/signaller - perhaps I should save the time and energy...

With a radio like that you don't need much else.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Aye, the very same. The idea of a speaker up the mast that can be programmed to simulate the striking of a bell once a minute when anchored in fog seems more than just slightly surreal. I think it would keep the deckhand awake though which might not be such a bad thing.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 am

A speaker up the mast (from Maplin) could put you in the same sound league as the Nautor's Swan - a really impressive chord of tones which starts quietly and builds to a blast. That's what's going to happen in my shed if I'm successful.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Huh, the green-eyed monster is peering over my shoulder. Trouble is that I already have a perfectly adequate SH DCS radio that looks brand new and works well. (and has my MMSI number in it- which can only be factory altered. Beware that you input yours correctly)

Presumably you were able to utilise your existing VHF aerial.

I recall that you have to connect to the plotter for the AIS to work and indeed for the DSC broadcasting of mayday positions etc as well as the benefit of seeing, heaven forbid, other DSC maydays on the plotter (if a Standard Horizon one). (the radio will also beep at you if it doesn't have a position from the GPS plotter). Sorry, you will know all of this.

Looks like a great way of getting an AIS receiver.

Have fun playing with it.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed May 16, 2012 1:56 am

Ken, I've got the same new toy. I splashed out on a £1.39 serial to USB thingy but as yet it doesn't seem to get targets onto the plotter. Had to send mine back to get M1 and M2 added.
All in all, much too much for my poor old brain to handle but it will while away many a rainy hour trying.

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 pm

marisca wrote:Ken, I've got the same new toy. I splashed out on a £1.39 serial to USB thingy but as yet it doesn't seem to get targets onto the plotter. Had to send mine back to get M1 and M2 added.
All in all, much too much for my poor old brain to handle but it will while away many a rainy hour trying.

Our syndicate electronician George has completed the integration and we can now see ais targets on the plotter. A surprising number of menus were involved as well as the minor problem of connecting all those very tiny and rather short wires so as to allow electrons to whizz around. All most satisfactory and mean's the skipper need never actually go on deck...
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Tue May 22, 2012 9:34 am

Great toy. Was playing with it while becalmed in the Sound of Jura on Saturday. Watched the Finlaggan changing course to reduce the CPA from 2.6 to 0.05nm at a range of 6nm - submarine commanders would be proud of such plotting!

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”