In she goes.

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

In she goes.

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri May 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Hummingbird finally launched on wed, all went well and we had a wee trial run up river before tying up.
Heading down the Clyde tomorrow (sat) for Millport where we aim to drink the place dry, or at least try :)
Looking forward to hoisting the sails on the new rigging.
Incidently do any of you use the plastic rope guides which clamp on the stanchions for routing the furling line through? and do you find they cause much resistance/friction.
I have blocks but they are attached to stanchion with s/s tube brackets but they are very clumsy and dont allow the furling line to run where I want it.
C_W

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: In she goes.

Postby Nick » Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Looking good Eamonn - must be a relief. Hope you and HB have a great season.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat May 12, 2012 8:50 am

I've just changed out three of them for the ones with blocks as there was a lot of friction in the furlling system- its quite a beamy boat and the four changes of angle on the furling line wasn't helpful..( checked the drum was turning freely before shelling out £17 a block :shock: )

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sat May 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Incidently do any of you use the plastic rope guides which clamp on the stanchions for routing the furling line through? and do you find they cause much resistance/friction.
I have blocks but they are attached to stanchion with s/s tube brackets but they are very clumsy and dont allow the furling line to run where I want it.

Yes, I have 2 or 3 of those: I think they're called bulls-eyes and have a stainless centre that the line runs through. They work OK, but the line is a good bit smaller in diameter than the hole which probably helps to reduce friction.

On the other side of the boat I have a line rigged for the tack of the cruising chute. It is led via a bullseye then a series of blocks tied to the stanchions with bits of string. This was meant to be a temporary measure to sort out lead angles, but since it works fine the temporary arrangement has become effectively permanent...

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Sat May 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Incidently do any of you use the plastic rope guides which clamp on the stanchions for routing the furling line through? and do you find they cause much resistance/friction.
C_W

I have 3 with 6mm 8 braid running through them. The only one with any great amount of line deflection is the one nearest the furling drum. I think that they work fine.
https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/620/holt-stanchion-fairlead

It's great to hear that HB is afloat. The tide times don't seem very friendly - an early start this morning?

Looking forward to getting a close look at all your hard work.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Sat May 12, 2012 10:55 pm

I bought a Holt-Allen one of these on eBay for the Hunter, only to find when I tried to fit it that her pulpit is made of 7/8" tubing and I'd bought a 1" guide. Anyone who wants it, let me know.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 am

ubergeekian wrote:

I bought a Holt-Allen one of these on eBay for the Hunter, only to find when I tried to fit it that her pulpit is made of 7/8" tubing and I'd bought a 1" guide. Anyone who wants it, let me know.

A few turns of insulating tape to fill the gap?

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun May 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks all that was type of the stanchion fairleads I was thinking of they would allow the line to be tucked neater and closer to the aft tube of the pulpit so the line clears the opening into the new drum which sits lower than the old one.
We all had a great sail/motor down river yesterday departing Rd at 0830.
The new mast, rigging and old sail combo worked fine although I havent set up the reefing for the main yet as the under boom slides havent been fixed in position yet.
Managed to get the new strake in the water a few times.
I also noted while motoring down river in a wind against tide situation that HB dident pitch near as severe as it used to with old mast, obviousley less weight up top.
Having heard the forecast for early this morn and today, I decided to put HB on her mooring at Fairlie instead of going into Millport bay yesterday, by this morning I was glad when I say the conditions in Millport bay and the size of the swell coupled with the swell in my head from last nights drinking session.
A good start to the season so far :!:
C_W

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”